SaltCritters.com

75 gal

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

well My tank has been up and running for 3 months with no sump. I have some corals and a few fish. Do you guys think that it it is absolutely necessary to have a sump? All seems well for now. I have a canister filter and a cpr back pak skimmer on it. I do 7 gallon water changes every 5 days. thanks. I'll post pics later. All param seem fine.

What do you want to accomplish with your sump is the first question.

Not that I'm a pro or anything, but if you are doing h2o changes every five days, your water quality should be excellent, right? if water quality is your main priority, your regular water changes are accomplishing that without a sump.

Just a thought.

IMO, it also depends on the kind of set up you're going for. SPS, I think a sump is absolutlely necessary just because of the added stability. LPS/Sofites, much more forgiving in terms of water quality...a decent hob skimmer and water changes should cut it just fine.

reefernanoman

well I only got a 260w pc lighting and cannot do sps under these conditions anyways. I will only stick to lps and softies for now until I upgrade to mh and a sump later on. Thanks.

your fine. I run both my tanks 12 and 40 sumpless. IMO sumps are overrated. Your happy how you are, great.

BUt like you said, with MH, a bigger skimmer, you might want to build one.

The biggest upsides to a sump as I see it are hidden equipment, and easier water changes. Plus building stuff is fun, but dont let people romanticising complexity encourage you to fix something that isnt broken.

You really can have a skimmer thats big enough and worth a damn hang on back of a tank that size hence a sump on my larger tank...Im lazy and dont want to do frequent water changes like yourself so I have a very large high quality kimmer in my sump....Sumps RULE!

• 3 weeks later...
reefernanoman

ok guys, so frequent water changes will be the way to go. I'm moving in about 8 months anyways, so I don't want to add more head aches anyways. No money left for a sump, after all the expenses from my nano, Ha Ha!

ok guys, so frequent water changes will be the way to go. I'm moving in about 8 months anyways, so I don't want to add more head aches anyways. No money left for a sump, after all the expenses from my nano, Ha Ha!

You're going to get tired of frequent water changes.

reefernanoman
You're going to get tired of frequent water changes.

Not really, I'm used to it with my nano 24. I change the water every 10 20 and 30 of the month. 5g for the 24 and 7g for the 75. All ok. You still need to change the water even if you have a sump, period.

• 2 weeks later...
Not really, I'm used to it with my nano 24. I change the water every 10 20 and 30 of the month. 5g for the 24 and 7g for the 75. All ok. You still need to change the water even if you have a sump, period.

I have three setups but only one salt. I do partial water changes every week on all of them so I guess your frequent isn't the same as my frequent. Why use "period" after a statement, it's not like it makes it any more valid. Of course you have to still do water changes when running a sump.

With my monster skimmer in my SUMP I only do water changes once a month ....

reefernanoman
With my monster skimmer in my SUMP I only do water changes once a month ....

only once a month water change? how much water do you change all at once? from what I have read, experts say that it is better to change your water gradually, I other words, a little at a time. They say you should change 20% of your water every month right? correct me if i'm wrong. That's why I change my water 3 times a month. So If you have a sump do you change less than 20% of your water monthly?

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

so any answer to my last reply or question? thanks. My tank s doing fine, and my corals are growing and i'm getting coraline algea.

Archived