Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Looking to add a 72 Gallon Reef

o-nano

I am looking to add another tank and have had such good success with my nano that I am looking to go bigger. Basically I would like to use my nano as a growth tank for corals and then be able to move them into a larger tank)

Here is what I have in mind. Would love to know what others think. I am trying to stay under $3K.

-72 gallon reef ready Oceanic tank (complete setup including stand, canopy and sump)

-Mag 7 (return pump)

-Tunze 6100 powerheads (2)

-Tunze Microcontroller (model 7095)

-Aqaulight all in one light (2-150 Watt MH, 2 96 Watt actinics, 4 lunar LED's) 492 W total (this may not be enough light)

-Remora Urchin in sump skimmer

Thanks for the feedback

Tunze is over-rated...save some money and get 2 seio's instead they are a ton cheaper and work really good.

I light might be ok if you dont want to go all SPS....If you want to do all SPS you need 2 250's

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I think your plans are fantastic, as I evolved a 72 gallon Oceanic reef myself and love the tank.

You will save a ton of money on your budget if your listen to Proraptor2 and ditch the tunze for seios.

I personally run 6 Maxijet 1200 under two ReefKeeper 2 controllers...

MG

You can get away with no powerheads.....

I have the same tank. I run one Mag24 and it is plenty of flow! I had to mod the overflow teeth a little and use both holes for drain pipes and run the return line up the back of the tank, but she runs great. It is manifolded off to 4 nozzles and I have no dead spots.

If you aren't as psycho as me, then go with the seio's. They rock.

Thanks for the great info on your replies. If I go with the Seio's how do I go about controlling them like the Tunze microcontrollers ability to create different currents. I have always read that Seios can't be used in wavemaker type applications???

Seio is supposed to be coming out with a controller. I think it's actually pretty close now (they've been promising for a year or so now)

Mike,

It will all be based upon whether I relocate with my company. My wife gets a bigger house and I get a bigger tank. Should know more in a week or two. I have been watching your move notes. If this happens you bet I will be asking you some questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it looks like no move but thanks to my amazing wife I am being allowed a new tank anyway. A few changes from my original plans to keep it a bit more cost effective but it will still be first class. Here is what I purchased yesterday and should have in my possession on Saturday.

-75 gal drilled AGA (change from the 72 oceanic)

-Model 3 Megaflow sump

-Current Outer Orbit all in one light (2 x 150 HQI MH, 2 X 130 watt actinics, 6 X White Lunar Lights) I made the change from the Aqualight because I like the idea of the white monnlight led's.

-Sedona style pine cabinet (I am going to refinish it to a rubbed antique black finish ala pottery barn style..it makes the wife happier)

In continuing to reduce costs a bit I will probably not go with the tunze powerheads. I am now thinking a reefkeeper or AC JR and using 2 modded maxijets in a wavemaker application. I want the gentle flow of the tunze just not the cost so any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

This is going to be a slow build (probably a month or two from start to finish at best) as I move from my 24G nano into the new 75. Any thoughts on the best methods for the move would be great as well.

o-nano,

You need to check out mikeguerrero's 72g oceanic thread. If you ask me, it is practically a bible on how to setup a tank in the 70g area.

Another way you could save some money is to skip the mega-blow sump. You are paying a lot of money just for partitions and baffles. Just buy an all-glass tank that is the same size (make sure it fits in your stand! and that you can get it in there) and just make the baffles yourself w/ glass and silicone.

Also, I'd spend all your effort on getting good basic equipment at first and then add stuff like controllers and wave makers as funds become available. For example, you may want to consider a beefier skimmer.

Thanks for the info. I actually got the mega-flow super cheap ($125) so I went with it. It has all the plumbing and was a direct fit to my drilled overflow. I have definitely checked out Mike's thread and he is a big reason that I went with this size tank. In terms of the build itself the funds are available to do whatever but since my wife has been so great with my continuos addiction...errr hobby. I figured I could sava a little here and there and let her by herself something nice as well.

Archived