Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is my anemone healthy?

Hoobahans

Alright, I have been hanging out on this forum for months but just joined today, so I am on a posting blitz, hope it isnt annoying. Anyway, the LFH here keeps a constant stream of pink tip haitian anemones in a 20 gallon tank with less than 60 watts of lighting, and since I have been going to school here a year ago I have seen them wither so I bought one thinking that it would be at least a bit happier in my tank. I have a k-2 viper and the stock dx lighting on the tank for a total of 222 wats and I have been feeding the anemone every other day or so...actually my clownfish brings food to it, but in any case it has been eating well. It looks happy and has stayed in the same place since the day I put it in. I dont want to be over confident because I am new to the hobby and I wanted to check with people who are more experienced to see what they think. I have a HOB fuge and skimmer and I also have the second chamber in the back made into a fuge, so I have pretty stable water with lots of pods eventhough the tank is only a couple months old.

Stats:

Nitrate: Undetectable

Nitrite: Undetectible

Ammonia: Undetectable

pH: 8.4

Alkilinity: "Good" according to my test kit, no real numbers are given

Stock pump and a maxjet 1400 added

Heres the anemone:

Clownfishcrazy1117

It looks bleached, but that may just be from being in the LFS. Keep feeding it and hopefully it will come back. BTW why is your water quality "undetectable"? And you could lower your PH .1 or .2.

I have the same anemone for a week now under 175w mh. It hasn't moved since intro but my maroon will have nothing to do with it. That comes as no surprise as these anemones host some crabs and shrimps in the wild according to what I have read. My maroon is a real promiscous girl and is hosted by mushrooms after the demise of the gbta. Just added an AquaC Remora yesterday so I am hoping for a good result with this anemone (my wife had to have it though I told her there was little chance of a relationship between it and the maroon). Well established tank and it is eating well; shrimp pellets, frozen plankton, small bits of silversides, and any flake food it can nab. This thing is exceptionally sticky and can hold onto the plastic feeding tube I use to target feed. It has expanded beautifully and seems quite content for the time being. I would have preferred another bta but my better half finds these more appealing. I may try to find a commensal shrimp for it. More research first though. What clown do you have and does the anemone host it?

Clownfish: I said undetectable because my test kit gave a zero reading for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, so I should have said 0, but I said undetectable for some reason. Also, why do you think that it is bleached? You cant see the base in the picture, but it is a bright pink, and it looks just like the pictures of pink tip anemones that I have found other places. I have never seen a bleached anemone so wouldnt know what to look for, so how do you tell?

Clifford: I have a maroon clownfish and it does host it. It took nearly a week, but my clown now spends most of the day in the anemone. Does anyone know for sure if these anemones are mainly photosynthetic or go for solid food? Also, how bug do these guys grow? I have found conflicting information over the web and am not sure. I take care of the coldwater tanks at my college and we have a ten year old anemone which is nearly bigger than my NC, so if nothing else I hope it doesnt get that big too fast.

Ditto on the conflicting info. The base of mine is bright orange and the tips are a bright fuscia but wash out under the mh lighting. The lfs identified it as a haitian anemone but I wonder if it might be a florida pink tip. Not sure if there is a difference as my searches yield the same species name; Condylactis gigantea species, Actiniaria. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge could jump in here and straighten me out?! Mine seems to be loving the mh and is a much more intense feeder than the bta.

Clownfishcrazy1117

A bleached anemone is one deprived of light. They turn pure white.(With the exception of the tips and bases.) If anemones are happy with the lighting, they are supposed to have a slight tinge to their tentacles, like tan, pink, or green. Perhaps Haitian anemones have mostly white tentacles naturally, but I have seen bleached pink tips before in my LFS and they looked like your guy. I'm not saying you're bleaching him, but I bet he was bleached by the LFS.

A bleached anemone is one deprived of light. They turn pure white.(With the exception of the tips and bases.) If anemones are happy with the lighting, they are supposed to have a slight tinge to their tentacles, like tan, pink, or green. Perhaps Haitian anemones have mostly white tentacles naturally, but I have seen bleached pink tips before in my LFS and they looked like your guy. I'm not saying you're bleaching him, but I bet he was bleached by the LFS.

Wow, I hope hes going to be alright. The tentacles have these opaque white spots that are getting bigger and it is developing completetly opaque and bright white collars a few centimeters from the tips. I assume that is a good thing. If anyone has suggestions for anemone first aid, I would gladly take them. Otherwise I'll just feed it and give it good light.

I might be mistaken...but it almost looks like there are new, tiny tentacles that are begining to form around the outer rim of its crown...I might be just imagining that they are new, but I will take it as a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, my maroon clown is in the anemone today. Only took her a month to make up her mind. I had already given up on her and was really planning to order a commensurate shrimp, one of the Periclimenes sp., but that's out the window now. I am still not sure if my anemone is really a Condylactis gigantea or a Condylactis passiflora. It is still very white and translucent. It hasn't grown in the month I have had it but has not declined at all either. It is still in the original place I put it when added to the tank and has not moved at all. It is still eating very well, twice a week. I fed it frozen plankton and pellets this morning and the clown went in shortly afterward. This may have happened because I have not been feeding the fish much lately and let them clean up the scraps. How is your anemone doing Hoobahans?

Edit: The AquaC kicks butt!

It's a condy? Hmmm, condy's are usually bad news for the clown in them. Don't be surprised (at least to my knowledge) if it eats your clown one day.

Archived