Pod Your Reef

When to add Calcium

NDonily

My tank has been cycling for 3 and a half weeks round about. I want to promote more coraline algae growth on my live rock.

My question is , can I add Calcium during the cycle. If so should I be adding anything else as far as supplements go.

I am planning on having shrooms, xania's, zoos and a fish as well as reef custodians.

Thank you for your advice

Nathan

o my nitrate is at 50 so I still have a ways to go for the cycle

Adding Ca will depend upon what your current levels are. You may not need to add any at all, but you might. You should definitely purchase a Ca test kit if you are going to supplement for it. IMO, Salifert makes a nice Ca kit and SeaChem makes a good basic kit.

HTH

My levels are at 20

I have the Hagens test kit, wich I have read arnt that great . I have read in a post that adding supplements while the tank is cycling isnt recommended.

Nathan

with your tank in the middle of a cycle, you have a lot of chemical/biological things going on.

IMHO, adding more chemicals during this time is not a good idea. It's just one more thing that can cause more grief for you. Remember, adding calcium can cause swings in you alk, which will cause swings in your ph. Some light reading to further explain:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov...ov2002/chem.htm

Let you tank settle down and then start to think about dosing. And if at that time you decide you need to bump up your calc levels, get a good calc test kit and alk test kit.

I have not used the Hagen test, I personally use the salifert test kits and have nothing but good things to say (except maybe they are a little expensive when compared to others)

Keep in mind also that dosing Kalk or other calcium suppliments may raise your ph and make the ammonia in the tank more toxic. It is better to have a low ph during the cycle and then worry about buffering it up to the correct level once the cycle has finished. I agree with the other posters that you should wait.

No need what so ever. First it is cycling and as stated, you don't want to be adding more stuuf to the mix. Secondly, the only thing in your tank that will consume calcium would be the coraline algae on your live rock, if there is any. Besides, with the stock lighting, there will be little coraline growth to begin with which in turn will keep calcium consumption to a minimal level. All that you would end up doing by adding calcium now is causing what is known as percipitating out of solution, which in turn would actually DECREASE the amount of Ca if you are not carefull. Bottom line is don't add it until you need to add it. As is, water changes will keep it up with your current occupant situation.

MrConclusion

In a lot of cases, lack of coralline growth is due to either over-skimming, or magnesium deficiency. Many of the "quick-dissolving" marine salts are low in magnesium, and coralline uses it up quickly.

I have had great results with Tropic-Marin BioMagnesium. I add it at full recommended dose to my new salt water when mixing it. That is, if I am adding 2 gallons to a reef with 8 gallons of water, I add 8 gallons worth of magnesium suppliment to the 2 gallon mixing bucket. This brings the magnesium to a better level, with no danger because the max recommended dose is this amount DAILY and I am only adding weekly.

Then, halfway through the week i add a half-strength dose to top-off water.

I have crazy coralline and LPS growth, and I have never fallen below 400 calcium using Reef-Crystals salt, 2 gallons changed in a 10 gallon (probably 8 of water) nano. I have calcium suppliments but they are never needed for this tank.

Archived