Pod Your Reef

new clown acting strange

tuzeman

So, probably over-reacting here, but my tank has cycled and I've had the CUC in for about a week. Finally bought my first fish, a perc. here's the thing, after drip acclimating this guy, I put him in. Now it's been a few hours and he's at the very top of the tank, swimming somewhat erratically. I assume this is just a normal amount of stress, but since I'm new at all of this, I thought I'd check in...Should I be worried? (fyi, all params are fine, aquapod 24 modded with 2 maxi-jet 900's, 28 lbs live rock, chemipure, 1/4 sponge...)

Drip acclimating a clown is too much and stresses them out.

This is a normal behavior for new fish in a tank. He is just getting used to the flow dynamics. In a couple of days he will be fine.

Kepping the fish in the bag for longer than you need to creates alot of stress for a fish. Not to mention the nutrient soup the bag becomes.

MAny of the reefers here do a max 15 minute acclimation for hardy fish like a clown. Some only acclimate for temp.

The least stressful acclimation is as quick as possible without shocking the fish.

Archived