Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kalk w/ B-Ionic

shaggydoo541

I am wondering if I can do a half and half ca/alk supplementation w/ kalk and B-Ionic. I plan on mixing my kalk addition to only half strength. This is because I topoff ~3/4G a day and only have ~15G total water volume. If I was using full strength kalk my pH would shoot through the roof in no time. In fact I am closely monitoring the current kalk additions and pH relation so my half strength kalk doesn't cause any pH issues.

But w/ only half strength kalk my ca/alk is not staying up where it should be. So could I use half strength kalk to topoff all evap, then add B-Ionic to keep my ca/alk levels where they should be? Anyone ever done this? Any problems I am overlooking?

shaggydoo541

All right well after further experimentation I may not even have to use B-Ionic. I am currently using 1/4th strength kalk to avoid any pH burn. If this 1/4th strength keeps my levels where they should be I will be good to go. If not... I will attempt adding B-Ionic as well and let you know how it goes. The worse thing that can happen (I assume) is I will get some precipitation or out of whack ca/alk levels... but as long as I keep my testing going it shouldn't become harmful.

All right well after further experimentation I may not even have to use B-Ionic. I am currently using 1/4th strength kalk to avoid any pH burn. If this 1/4th strength keeps my levels where they should be I will be good to go. If not... I will attempt adding B-Ionic as well and let you know how it goes. The worse thing that can happen (I assume) is I will get some precipitation or out of whack ca/alk levels... but as long as I keep my testing going it shouldn't become harmful.

im thinking the ph burn shouldn't be that much in nanos. please keep me posted.

shaggydoo541

After discussing this topic with some local reefers... one of which is a chemist. I have been informed that the 1/4 kalk still has a ridiculously high pH of 12. But since it is dilluted, pH burn should be avoided (even though I don't drip) as long as I topoff slowly and in a high flow area, which I have been doing.

But they also recommended I still test regularly (obviouisly) and that I will most likely have to use B-Ionic since even full strength kalk has only a tiny fraction of ca/alk when compared to the two part solution. Here are the numbers I was given:

Saturated Kalk: 800 ppm Ca and 40 meq/l alk

B-ionic: 54,000 ppm Ca and 2,700 meq/l alk

So since I am using 1/4 of the kalk numbers above that makes the difference even higher. After a week or so I will let you know what I think will be my permanent solution, but it is looking like w/o dripping kalk is not a very good solution for nanos (especially ones w/ a high amount of evaporation).

Saturated Kalk: 800 ppm Ca and 40 meq/l alk

B-ionic: 54,000 ppm Ca and 2,700 meq/l alk

You should try mixing kalkwasser with vinegar. This method can raise Ca/Alk provided by kalkwasser to its full strength.

Here is a Link.

shaggydoo541

I got the ESV brand.

I am thinking of using vinegar but am undecided and don't want to try it at the moment. I am always hesitant to try these types of ideas on a smaller tank. Its proven with large systems but my 18G could tank fast if I somehow mess it up. Thats one reason I have been slowly adjusting my kalk strength.

i'd be scared too.

the thing with kalk is that it doesn't increase alk, as it is only a calcium supplement with a ph burn. (according to the dude at marine depot) if this is true, what are you gonna do for alk? is it time to use randy's 2 part?

shaggydoo541

Kalk provides ca AND alk... which is one of the benefits. The only real downside (especially for nanos) is the high pH. Plus it can only provide as much ca/alk as you have evaporation.

I too have a 15G, and drip kalk to make up for some water evaporation. I lose about 1/2 cup/day... not as much as what your tank goes through though...

I also am wary about using kalk to make up for all the water that is evaporated because of the pH jump. So, I drip full strength kalk 1 drop per every ~45 sec. and the rest I drip regular ro/di water to make up for evap. Mainly, the kalk is to keep calc/alk levels somewhat constant and I add 2-part Ocean's Blend (similiar to the B-Ionic) every couple of days since my levels seem to slowly decline as calc/alk is used up by some of the stonies. Only thing to keep in mind is don't add the additives all at once since that might cause precipitation. I add in about 25ml of both calc & alk additives, just not all at once. 5ml in high turbulence areas, wait a few mins, then add another 5ml. There'll be a small jump in pH after additive addition, but nothing too dramatic and outta range.

hahah, sorry if I was uuber confusing... :wacko:

shaggydoo541

Thats definitely a good point. I once added my kalk and then immediately put in the B-Ionic. The alk portion of the B-Ionic caused quite a bit of precipitation. I now topoff w/ the kalk at night and the B-Ionic in the middle of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Add the kalk slowly, drip it if you can. No problems using b-ionic with kalk, I would test for Ca/alk regularly though.

These are great articles on the subject:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

If you have more questions, you can ask Randy (the author of those articles) here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=102605

• 3 months later...

i know this is an old thread, never the less...

ive been experimenting lately...

i have a 64ounce coke cup i use for top off... i mix in about 1half spoonfull, no more no less... i set my drip for 1drip every 2 seconds... or whatevers needed...

efflieunt coming from my kalk drip is 11.2ph... didnt want to test ca because of how high i knew it would be.

i also use B-ionic to supplement...

So far this method has stabalized my ph at 7.9 during the night time... never goes below. My dkh is a solid 10, and my ca is 400-440...

i just wish i had a dosing pump to do it all the time.

i went the litermeter route. the litermeter doses 150 times a day for whatever ''flow' you set it at. my tank evaps around 1/3-1/2 gallon a day (cadlights 22 gallon sps dominated), so i have it set to ~1.9 liters. it can be adjusted up or down so that its spot on...plus theres a top off module in case overfill its shuts pump down (little black box on top of unit).

the aquacontroller junior shuts down pump when ph gets to 8.25...then resumes as ph lowers...

two additional pumps can be added for two part if your demand rises, dosed at the same 150X's per 24 hours.

my tank parameters have been spot on since i hooked this up. ph right at 8.2, Alk 3.5 meq, Ca 400. never waivers. i have 30 frags and 1 teaspoon per gallon has been working fine. ill increase to 2 teaspoons if need be, you can go 3 teaspoons but must use vinegar. ill go to two part by then...bionic or randy's.

post-22727-1171009779_thumb.jpg

post-22727-1171009889_thumb.jpg

Archived