Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Salt levels Q?

Tentacles

Quick question: I just added salt to my 5 gallons of distilled water and it reads 1.018 on the hydrometer. If i let it settle a bit will it get better? and if not, do I need to add salt or water to make it go to about 1.024 or 1.025? Thanks!

Quick question: I just added salt to my 5 gallons of distilled water and it reads 1.018 on the hydrometer. If i let it settle a bit will it get better? and if not, do I need to add salt or water to make it go to about 1.024 or 1.025? Thanks!

Some salt needs a little more time to dissolve fully. I would wait 10-15 mins. Also use a pump or air pump to circulate the mixture. Check that there is no salt disposited at the bottle. Also, is your hydrometer calibrated?

Some salt needs a little more time to dissolve fully. I would wait 10-15 mins. Also use a pump or air pump to circulate the mixture. Check that there is no salt disposited at the bottle. Also, is your hydrometer calibrated?

What do you mean by calibrated? Its set up and reading well, otherwise no idea. Also, the higher the number, the more or less fresh water it need? thanks

well alittle quick edit, its gotten to about 1.023 and staying there, hovering between 1.023 and 1.024 so i guess we're doing good. More suggestions though:)

What do you mean by calibrated? Its set up and reading well, otherwise no idea. Also, the higher the number, the more or less fresh water it need? thanks

well alittle quick edit, its gotten to about 1.023 and staying there, hovering between 1.023 and 1.024 so i guess we're doing good. More suggestions though:)

Some hydrometers are not very accurate; for example, mine when it reads 1.019, it's actually 1.023. So, I have to remember to add 0.004 to my reading from this hydrometer.

You will need something like a refractometer to calibrate it ... your LFS can help you.

If your reading is stable for a 10-15 minutes, you are good to go.

well its looking good now. Funny thing is I have to do it twice to get a good read...weird. When I put it for the first time if it hasnt been in for awhile (the hydrometer that is) it will read up past the farthest degree which is 1.032, but then when i get a bit of water in it and wake it up and put it in again it will go to 1.024, and will remain there no matter how many times i test it after that. I guess im lingering around 1.024 which is pretty good.

Last question: Water evaporates from the tank, so you have to top it off every so often. Ive got 3 gallons premixed and ready to roll but heres my Q: doesnt just the water evaporate and the salt remains in the water for the most part, kind of like how you harvest actual salt for eating, so do I need to add my mixed salt water or fresh, or...........just use the hydrometer:) which takes me to my last last question: how do you gage if it needs more or less salt. Lets say its reading 1.030. Do i need more salt or more fresh water?

Thanks much!

When you are making up to the tank because of evaporation use fresh water. Making up due to water changes, aclimating fish, spills, etc. use salt water (at the same salinity/s.g. as your tank).

If your hydrometer is reading 1.030 you would add fresh water to reduce the salinity to 1.024 or whatever you're running your system at. If the hyd. read 1.020 you would add small amounts of salt to increase salinity to 1.024

Hope this made sense!

Archived