Pod Your Reef

Live Rock Question

bobster

Hi all,

I am new to the wonderful world of saltwater tanks. So I am seeking some assistance as it seems this tank seems to be kicking my butt. :angry:

----------------------

What I started with

-----------------------

12g Aquapod

First chamber has the sponge. Second chamber has the ceramic media and carbon. Third chamber has the bio balls. Last has the factory pump

12 pounds figi rock

live sand

10g of water mixed with ocean salt

Test water after 3 weeks and all levels including salt level seemed to be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cleaners that I added after everything was good

--------------------------------------------------------

3 turbo snails and a dozen herms. These guys were great for a few weeks so i decided to move forward and get some fish.

--------------------

First run with fish

--------------------

So my first attempt to buy some fish and start my tank was 2 clown fish and 1 anemone. Well the anemone got stuck in the lower vents and released its poison into the tank and everything died. So I tried again without the anemone and yet again everything died.

So I decided that it was best that I level the tank in its state and let it sit for some time and now it has been about 2 months that the tank has hand nothing but sand, rock and water.

Which leaves me to my question, is the rock that is in my tank dead or can it still be used? Does rock truly die? I am wanting to know if I should break that rock up and put it in place of that media and go get new rock. Or should I just start out fresh all over again?

Any and all help is welcome, i really dont want to give up, i think salt water tanks are very beautiful and would like to have this.

The Propagator

as log as the sand is still alive or you add a small piece of live rock or a cup of live sand, toyour tank it will all re-seed and come back to life.

Just be patient. Th elonger youlet it set the better.

You should have waited about 6 months before you added the anemone IMO.

:)

Archived