Innovative Marine Aquariums

SG readings ???

Crimper

Ok

here is my delema, When taking my SG readings in my new tank, I get defferent readings in different parts of the tank.

for instance i will get a high reading in the right back corner, a normal reading in the from, and middle and a low reading in the left.

I think its well circulated, I have an AC 150 on it, and 2 120 GPH PH running on it.

There is nothing in the tank yet, just water.

What do I have to do to get this constant? or is this typical?

First off, is the tank established or brand spankin' new?

If you're using one of the swing arm types.......you might want to tap it with your fanger. I found that bubbles were sticking to the arm and throwing off my reading. It just doesn't make any sense that you'd have different concentrations of saltwater in an "established" tank......laws of diffusion and science stuff like that!

SeaMountain

Does your Kool-Aid taste different in different parts of the pitcher too? :P

It's gotta be how you're reading and/or taking the water samples.

yes Kool aid taste gross at the bottom.

and it is a brand new tank...I think the variants in readings might be due to dead spots in the tank, where there is less circulation

but im not sure, any more opinions?

What type of device are you using? How much does it swing? Are you sure that the swings in salinity don't just fall within the precision of your instrument? I know my Hydrometer will give values as much as +/- .002.

Spudds.

If the salt is totally dissolved, it is "impossible" for there to be different readings due to "deadspots"! Even if you had zero circulation, eventually the concentration of salt (i.e. your SG readings) would equalize.

For example, if your in a room and you rip a fart, does it linger FOREVER? No, the LAWS (there's a reason they call them laws)diffusion and your own personal experience say no! However, if you have undissolved salt in the tank it would probably give higher readings near the bottom (since salt sinks), but your readings at the top should be equalized. Check your hygrometer!!!!!!!! You probably have tiny bubbles sticking to the arm

It must be the hydrometer...get a refractometer and try testing different areas. They should all be the same. A aquarium will not and should not have different readings of salt if all the salt is dissolved. It is like saying the pH in the back right corner of my tank is 8.3 and the front left is 7.6!

Impossible. I would get a different instrument to measure your SG!

OK,

I think it was bubbles on the arm. I have taken several readings and insuring that I get a good reading, they are all very close. roughly 1.022-1.024

so can I add LR now?

once your lr is in, let it set for a few days in the tank. Your ammonia will go up, but that is normal(just the cycle). Then you can add fish or hardy corals!

Oh yeah, BTW. Get cured liverock! It is very important for your tank to make sure it is cured. It will help to make your cycling time shorter!

Have fun!

thanks a lot, I appriciate the help...

The rock I am getting is cured, and is supposed to be top quality as everyone that shops at the LFS has told me.

The stuff my LFS keeps looks like "butt"!

I'm probably going to set up a curing tank and get some uncured and see how that goes. I guess you can get some kick ass colors and hitchers that way

Archived