inTank Media Baskets

Official Contest Rules & Information

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the 2006 Nano Reef Build Contest! The contest officially begins October 1st, 2006 and ends March 31st, 2007. All nano reefs must be entered by October 20th, 2006 to qualify. At the end of the contest, all eligible systems will be judged by the Nano-Reef.com community for growth and development, and prizes awarded to the top nano reefs in each category.

Please note that this contest will require you to have a digital camera, or access to a digital camera at least once per month. You will not be able to participate without one.

THE RULES!

Stock Category Rules

THE TANK

A 10 gallon glass aquarium or equivalent tank. The dimensions of a standard 10 gallon tank are 20"Lx10"Wx12"H. The most common tanks people are going to find are All-Glass and Perfecto brand, and can be purchased at any Petco, Petsmart, or large LFS for approximately $20. If you choose to use an acrylic tank, the dimensions must be close to 20"Lx10"Wx12"H. You are welcome to paint the back of your tank black or blue, but it is not required.

THE LIGHTING

The maximum amount of standard power compact lighting will be 40 watts, using only a single 50/50 daylight/actinic bulb. Eligible PC bulbs are 14” 28w and 32w bulbs, or 18” 40w bulbs. Either a retro-fit kits or complete hood may be used. Nighttime use of moon lights is allowed, but not required.

POWERHEADS AND HANG ON BACK FILTERS

Participants in the stock contest will be allowed to use up to two powerheads, or one powerhead and one hang on back filter. The total flow rate for the tank must not exceed 400 gallons per hour. This restriction allows for a broad range of powerheads and HOB filters. See manufacturers specs for your particular model to see if it is allowed or not. You may not modify a higher flow HOB or PH to create a flow that is within an acceptable range.

HEATERS

Any aquarium heater may be used. Choose one appropriate for the environment your nano reef will be in.

AUTO TOP-OFF

Use of an auto top-off system is allowed, but not required.

HOODS AND STANDS

Any hood and stand may be used. Stock nano reefs will not be judged by their hood and stand.

OTHER STOCK CATEGORY RULES INFORMATION

(Answers to common questions)

Can thermometers be used?

Yes, any thermometer may be used.

Can I test my water using test kits (ph, alk, cal, etc) such as Salifert brand?

Yes, all typical marine aquarium test kids may be used for your tank entry.

Can I use Live Rock from my other tank? I have plenty extra and it will speed my cycling.

Yes, you may use Live Rock from another reef system you have on hand.

Can I stock my stock contest entry tank with frags or corals from my display tank?

Yes, you are welcome to use frags from your other display tank. There will be a cutoff when contestants are not allowed to add any more corals to their tanks. This will force contestants to show they are in fact able to maintain and show growth under stock conditions, even if their corals came from a display tank 5 feet away.

Can I dose my tank with nutrients, etc?

You are welcome to dose your tank as you see fit.

HOW TO ENTER STOCK CONTEST

To officially enter this contest you will need to take a photo with a common household object (specified the day the contest begins) inside your unfilled tank setup. You will post this information in your own entry thread in the stock contest forum.

Custom Category Rules

THE TANK

Custom display tank volume must be between 7 and 12 gallons. If you are using a custom built tank, you may need to show images with measuring device of some sort to prove dimensions to the rest of the contestants. If deemed necessary, you may be asked at different intervals to take photos of your tank with measuring devices and something else in the picture to prove a current photo.

THE SUMP/REFUGIUM SPACE

External sumps or refugiums are entirely optional. However, if you choose to use one, its volume must not exceed 10 gallons. You are welcome to use a custom built system or standard tank. You may be asked to take photos of your sump with measuring devices and something else in the picture to prove it is a current photo. The entire system volume (display tank + sump, external filters, etc.) must not exceed 22 gallons.

NOTE: Volume refers to actual tank/sump volume, not necessarily total water used

THE PLUMBING

Shortest route possible. Keep tanks close. Plumbing should not be used to increase system volume significantly. If it looks like it does, you may be asked to change it.

THE LIGHTING

There is no limitation on this aspect of your tank entry.

POWERHEADS AND HANG ON BACK FILTERS

There is no limitation on this aspect of your tank entry.

AUTO TOP-OFF - THERMOMETERS - HEATERS

There is no limitation on these aspects of your tank entry.

HOODS AND STANDS

There is no limitation on these aspects of your tank entry.

HOW TO ENTER CUSTOM CONTEST

To officially enter this contest you will need to take a photo with an object (specified the day the contest begins) inside your unfilled tank/sump setup. If you are using a custom tank or sump, please make everyones lives easy by taking photos with a yardstick or ruler next to your custom setup to prove dimensions as clearly as possible. You will post this information in your own entry thread in the custom contest forum.

ENTRY THREAD INFORMATION

Your entry thread is where all the information, photos, and updates for your nano reef will be posted. When you are ready to enter the contest, please create a new topic in the appropriate Custom or Stock nano reef contest forum. The topic title should be: “[stock] Your Username” or “[Custom] Your Username”. Your first post must contain your required entry photographs!

Updates to the progress of your nano reef must be posted at a minimum of once per month, and include at least 3 photos. Entries with missing months of updates will be disqualified for final voting. At the end of the contest, all entrants will be asked to make a final post summarizing the progress their nano reef has made.

Remember to keep your entries as clear and organized as possible. The Nano-Reef.com community members will be reviewing them for final voting.

A WORD ABOUT TANK CRASHES!

If your tank crashes (for any reason) you will not be able to restart after contest entry has closed (October 20th, 2006).

Reason: If your tank crashes, you would have to set it up again which would be basically be entering a new system after contest entry has ended. The point of this contest is to keep a healthy reef the first time around, not to start and then restart over and over if you continually hose your system.

INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS

Members from outside the U.S. are welcome to participate, however Nano-Reef.com cannot guarantee that we will be able to ship prizes internationally.

IMPORTANT DATES

October 1st, 2006 - Contest officially begins

October 20th, 2006 - Last day to enter a nano reef

January 15th, 2007 - Last day to add new corals

March 31st, 2007 - Last day of contest

Contest Prizes

To Be Announced Soon!

Christopher Marks

PHOTO ENTRY INFORMATION

The object to place inside your empty aquarium setup for your entry photos is: Your favorite beverage (In a cup, bottle, can, etc.)