Cultivated Reef

3 gallon Picotope 2 month update

ToeJam

I put an AqaClear 70 on the tank last night. It has been modified to add a baffle inside the filter and will hold the heater, a piccolo skimmer and some chaeto. I am using the clip on light that came with the tank for the chaeto. I also added a surface skimmer to the AquaClear which meant I had to re-aquascape. The little piccolo skimmer works great. It pulls out some nasty stuff. I keep trying to get my co-workers to drink some, but they won't go for it. :D

I was using the impeller from an Aquaclear Mini but the flow was too low. I put the original one from the Aquaclear back in and it certainly increased the flow. I also cut out a little plastic tab inside the filter that allowed me to turn the flow down a little more. I think 300 gph is a little much for a 3 gallon tank... :) Right now the little surface skimmer that I built can't handle what the pump is trying to pull through, so I might have to do some more work on it tomorrow to get it working better. With the flow turned all the way down it can keep up, but if I turn it up any it starts sucking air. I am going to drill some more holes lower down to allow it to take more water from the middle of the tank as well.

I also replaced the light that came with the Oddysea fixture with a Coralife 50/50 bulb and it is a night and day difference. The blue is more of an icy blue than the original bulb.

FTS09212006_Closeup.jpg

leftSide2.jpg

rightSide.jpg

AquaClearMod.jpg

AquaClearSkimmer.jpg

Here is a link with the setup process:

3g Picotope setup

how is that skimmer working for you?? And where did you get it?

I like your surface skimmer mod. I did something simmilar.

The skimmer is working great. There is not much in the tank that produces waste, but it still pulls skimmate out. I bought it at the LFS for $25, but I have seen them around on a couple websites. Here is a link. It is a Sander Piccolo airstone skimmer. Simple design, but seems to be pretty effective. I have heard alot better things about these than the Fission Nano skimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

awsome! the AC doesnt look that bad on the pico...

i hear nasty things bout those fissions....that bad eh?

what kind/brand of picotope is that?

you can find those airstone skimmers everywhere cheap! 20-30 bucks is definantly in my price range....or make one....they are as powerful as the airpump you put on it...

no real mods on my pico yet just surface skimmer on stock filter....

could you re-post the specs??

post-22467-1161086320_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much in the way of updates, except that everything is running well. Water changes every week, top-off at least once per day. I still need to get the ATO system that I built working correctly. I will be adding some more coral in the next few days. I have some zoos that I will be picking up tonight and may get something else as well.

I also need to get the surface skimmer working better. It is taking too much from the lower area of the tank. There is a film on the top of the water because it is not pulling enough from the surface.

how big is the pvc your using???

id remake it using 1/2'' or smaller.......

see how it pulls, then drill vent holes one at a time accordingly

how big is the pvc your using???

id remake it using 1/2'' or smaller.......

see how it pulls, then drill vent holes one at a time accordingly

I went with 1", since that is the same size as the pipe going into the AquaClear filter. I might give a smaller tube a try and see how it works.

Archived