Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank Brands

Haunted

(lol) Sorry for some stupid reason I left out the word system. Sorry! The Jewel has a tall black plastic box in the corner that holds the pump filters and heater. It pulls water in from the top and pumps it out the top. I'm not sure about the water flow a reef needs. I'm sure it has to do with what is in it. I have a Jewel tank that I used for FW fish and was hoping to convert it to a SW tank.

I am wondering if the pump system will work or will I have to replace it with a stronger pump. I don't know the how powerful this pump is but it isn't strong that's for sure. This tank has very little current at all. I kept betas in it because of the stillness of the water.

Can I use the same type of filter for FW as SW. Or are they a different type alltogether.

Sorry if I'm not giving the right info. I'm not sure what I'm doing that's why I'm asking.

The corner box is called an overflow, and will do a great job keeping the water oxygenated and the surface clear of film. If the flow is gentle, you'll have to add another powerhead inside the tank. Two sources of circulation is better anyway, IMO, because you can have the outputs intersect, creating more random and chaotic currents.

Make sure you haven't used any medication with copper in them on that tank or you won't be able to use it. Otherwise, the tank sounds great. Most of us use liverock and livesand as the only source of biological filtration. Snoop around this site and elsewhere to get a feel for how it all works before you start. It's a different world from FW and there's a bit to learn if you want to be successful. Good luck.

Archived