Pod Your Reef

My very first 3g pico! YEAH!

Galloping Goose

Galloping Goose

Hi, I just wanted to post some pics of my very fist pico, a Tom Mini Deco Kit 3 gallon.

The light is an 18w 50/50 that simply just mounts to the edge of the tank. I have just ordered another one to put directly across on the other edge from the existing one, giving me a total of 36w of 50/50.

The cycle has only just completed today so was very excited to put in the first of the clean up crew, 2 astrea conehead snails.

Still deciding on how to stock it with coral n' such...I'll make up my mind soon :)

The rock work took me about a solid 1 hour of elbow aching, forehead sweating, nerve racking work. Kept aranging, and rearanging the landscape till I finally got what I wanted.

Was mostly scared of droping a rock, or worse, tiping the whole rockwork and scratching my precious acrylic. The landscape is built from 5 pieces of small rock (about 3 lbs) In my opionon, small pieces in a pico like that make up a better looking landscape than one or two huge pieces.

Thanx all for looking and appreciate any input and advice in advance!

post-21695-1159232779_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1159232792_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1159232807_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1159232819_thumb.jpg

post-21695-1159232833_thumb.jpg

Tank looks nice. I really like the rock work. That hour was worth it! :)

For corals, you could do alot of stuff with that amount of light. LPS, zoo's, shrooms, rics, xenia, GSP, etc.

I think that some sun coral would look really cool in the cave area. Also, I have a neon green/pink frogspawn and I really like it so there is another option.

HTH

texx

Galloping Goose

Some of the stock Im thinking about to put in my 3g are zoos, mushrooms, I'd really like to cover one of the bigger rocks entirely with ricordias. I will try to get a lot of bright color in there, so regarding the zoos I will try to stay with some of the bright colored ones. A torch would look great in there as well. 2 small yellow sea cucumbers, 2 sexy shrimp, 1 porcelan crab, 1 staghorn crab, open rose brain corral, purple plate coral, 1 red sea star, red, blue or purple sea fan, 2 bumble bee snails, and maybe a few other things...will see... Since the tank will have 36w of 50/50 light and its only a 3 gallon thats only 7.5 inches tall, could I keep a nice clam? (maybe the blue one) Also thinking of a citron goby. Do you all think that I may be able to have 2 citron gobys in there? (keep each other company) THANX!

Galloping Goose

I appreciate everones thumbs up to my creation thus far. It will take a while to fill it with coral, inverts and other life, but when it will be complete, it should be a pleasure to look at...hopefully for a couple of years.

Anyhow...how about that question I had earlier? Can anyone give me an answer on that? May I keep 2 citron gobys in there? And also, may I be able to keep a nice clam under the 36w 50/50 light since its only a 3gallon that is but 7 inches deep/tall? Thanx!

sweet! i got the same setup!! its a darn good lil tank... mine is currently a rehab for all my rock....ever check out the website?? www.oscarent.com? i think they have lil surface skimmers for it and stuff

Hi, I just wanted to post some pics of my very fist pico, a Tom Mini Deco Kit 3 gallon.

The light is an 18w 50/50 that simply just mounts to the edge of the tank. I have just ordered another one to put directly across on the other edge from the existing one, giving me a total of 36w of 50/50.

The cycle has only just completed today so was very excited to put in the first of the clean up crew, 2 astrea conehead snails.

Still deciding on how to stock it with coral n' such...I'll make up my mind soon :)

The rock work took me about a solid 1 hour of elbow aching, forehead sweating, nerve racking work. Kept aranging, and rearanging the landscape till I finally got what I wanted.

Was mostly scared of droping a rock, or worse, tiping the whole rockwork and scratching my precious acrylic. The landscape is built from 5 pieces of small rock (about 3 lbs) In my opionon, small pieces in a pico like that make up a better looking landscape than one or two huge pieces.

Thanx all for looking and appreciate any input and advice in advance!

Some of the stock Im thinking about to put in my 3g are zoos, mushrooms, I'd really like to cover one of the bigger rocks entirely with ricordias. I will try to get a lot of bright color in there, so regarding the zoos I will try to stay with some of the bright colored ones. A torch would look great in there as well. 2 small yellow sea cucumbers, 2 sexy shrimp, 1 porcelan crab, 1 staghorn crab, open rose brain corral, purple plate coral, 1 red sea star, red, blue or purple sea fan, 2 bumble bee snails, and maybe a few other things...will see... Since the tank will have 36w of 50/50 light and its only a 3 gallon thats only 7.5 inches tall, could I keep a nice clam? (maybe the blue one) Also thinking of a citron goby. Do you all think that I may be able to have 2 citron gobys in there? (keep each other company) THANX!

I would stay away from the sea cucumbers, staghorn crab(shell will be stung by corals), starfish(grows way too big for a pico). I would defiantly recommend a couple of porcelain crabs, mine is an anenome type and is awesome. Sexy shrimp also have been known to eat some soft corals.

I used to have one until i used the tank for something else cause i got so many scrathches on mine. Besides i like going with glass tanks better. Tank is a pretty sweet set-up. Definatly gonna follow up on this tank.

Sounds really ambitious for stocking that tank -- I'd stay away from a clam though -- they have really high light requirements. The porcelain crab would work -- I had one in my three and he was lots of fun -- same with sexy shrimp (I had three) Stars will get too big for the tank -- you could keep them but will end up having to trade them back in to the pet store after a while. Not sure about the goby's you might be able to get away with two green banded goby's as they stay very small. Staghorn crabs while cool looking -- need room to not get their horn's hung up on rocks etc -- so probably not a good choice for this tank either.

i got mine at my LCFS (pet supermarket, petsmart) and i payed 55 american w/ tax and all....they have 3 sizes...1,2,3.....but i think only the 2 and 3 gal have the bad azzz light.....

there are other brands similar to the TOM deco but i havent seen the box.....

this is mine next to my other rigs...

the 20 is only running maybe 40 watts worth of light (actintic+plant growlight)

post-22467-1159367798_thumb.jpg

post-22467-1159367810_thumb.jpg

post-22467-1159367820_thumb.jpg

Galloping Goose

I got the TOM MINI DECO KIT 3G here: http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/shopdi...ucts.asp?id=877

If you also want an xtra light (because the tank only comes with one 18w 50/50) than you get that here: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/NE...s/Shopay00.aspx

I have 2 of these over my 3G. Total of 36w 50/50

I like my TOM MINI 3G tank a lot, however I came across these rimless all glass tanks, that are just super clean looking...cant even see the silicone job on them. They are a bit pricy $$ however I think I'll end up getting the 12x12x12 cube and transfer everything to the cube. Here is the cube, let me know what you guys think. The cool part is I can still use my lights over this cube from my TOM MINI, maybe even the hang on filter. http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm

I appreciate everyones input on the stock and giving me their 2 cents on it. I will revise my inhabitants than... THANX!

i would use the light on a 5 gal...but if the new tank is 12''....i dunno im bad with math...

basically its another 4-5'' above the water right??? and in the pico its shining through only 10-12 inches... you would be adding 4'' to the 12'' of the new tank..36watts right?

well im only runnig about 40watts on my 20 gal since i moved from a 15 and i can tell you i need a new light.....so 40 watts is really not enough for 20''-24'' of water...the only thing that grows is my caulurpa and hair algae

it would probably survive and run but i dunno about thrive....

but i know nothing!

i need another light....

i would use the light on a 5 gal...but if the new tank is 12''....i dunno im bad with math...

basically its another 4-5'' above the water right??? and in the pico its shining through only 10-12 inches... you would be adding 4'' to the 12'' of the new tank..36watts right?

well im only runnig about 40watts on my 20 gal since i moved from a 15 and i can tell you i need a new light.....so 40 watts is really not enough for 20''-24'' of water...the only thing that grows is my caulurpa and hair algae

it would probably survive and run but i dunno about thrive....

but i know nothing!

i need another light.... i would buy my new tank and start building it and make it piece by piece... thats what im doin

post-22467-1159455236_thumb.jpg

I just ordered 3G Deco Art tank from pets warehouse. After I ordered, I knew that place. I could've drove there and picked it up but I guess it's easier this way. Anyway, I can't wait to start my new tank. Thanks for this great info.

Galloping Goose

Savager, youre wellcome! Be really carefull landscaping your new tank. Dont drop any rocks or as soon as you scratch it will bug the hell out of you...I know from previous experince. Good luck and post some pics soon.

I ordered my ADA frameless cube 12x12x12 today! Here is a pic if anyone likes to see it http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm

Since my Tom Mini Deco Kit 3G has just recently completed its cycle and I havent stocked it yet, I will wait till I get my sleek new rimless cube and transfer my stuff into it. I will try my hardest to replicate the rock work to as close as I can get it. As soon as this happens (hopefully around wend or thurs) I will post new pics. If anyone is intrested I will sell my TOM MINI DECO KIT 3G for real cheap! Thanx Denny. Denver, CO.

Archived