Pod Your Reef

SPS Corals and Lighting

Lebowski

Could I keep any sps corals in a 29 gal with 110 watts of PC lighting? If not, what type of lighting would you suggest me buying. I'm going to get mh but was wondering if any sps would do under pc....

Hi

I have a frogspawn coral in my 20 gallon with 55 watt PC, it has doubled size in 8 months, and I would consider it thriving. (I think this is considered a SPS) if not, my mistake.

No, sorry.

Frogspawns are LPS, not sps.. thanks though.....I'll buy a frag of that frogspawn tough.:)

Is there any other guesses? Any SPS I CAN keep???

masterfuji01

try some montipora capricornis. that is the plating kind. i have some that is brown with a white rim that grows really well. i dont even mount it. i just wedge it in between my liverock adn let it grow. i grow mine in a 25 gallon with 96 watts of PC. it does really well. i dont ever have that great of luck with acropora sp. because i can never mount them well. but try the montipora...its awesome.

Porites would probably make it as well, especially encrusting forms. A 29 is deep, so just position them up in the middle or higher and they should be fine.

I'm with Crak, Montipora Digitata. They are extremely hearty. I through a frag in a 2.5 gallon with 26 watts pc, it has been knocked over a total of probably 100 times and 50 of which it ended up falling on corals that stung it until I picked it up. Granted, it is not as healthy as it was right now but the polyps are still out and if I can keep it from falling over or getting stung anymore, it will continue to grow. These suckers are hearty.

Thanks guys, Would a skimmer help out with SPS? I'm not using a mechanical skimmer, but a refugium, with caulerpa, feather caulerpa, macro algae....

Would that be good enough of a skimmer?

Montipora Digi is the SPS I will keep if all of the other corals I plan to throw in my tank do well. I'm just running PC lighting.

I'm not expecting blue or purple tipped SPS corals with my lighting but I'd like to have a few sps corals in my tank eventually. I think in order to get the really colorful sps to thrive you need alot of VERY intense light.

And, I don't want to travel down the path of MH lighting again until I'm willing to deal with chillers on my tank.

John

Archived