SaltCritters.com

What's your 5.5 setup?

CmApEs13

Hey everyone I have had my 5.5 gallon setup for about 4 months and haven't done much to it except get a free damsal and some free zoos. I'm currently struggling with demolishing all my hair algae (mostly all gone).

- I have a 65 watt daylight bulb PC. (going to buy a 50/50 soon, 65 watt also)

- I would like to have a goby/shrimp pair or a sixline wrasse!

- I will be getting a mushroom and zoo package from liveaquaria.com!

- I would like to purchase a fire shrimp!

- I will get 6 reef hermits along with 2 more astrea or turbo snails in this next week!

- My current stocklist is just 2 astrea snails and 1: 3-stripped damsal, 10 zoos (blueish green),

- I was just mostly wondering what everyone had in their 5.5 gallons?? If you could please show a pic or 2 or 3 or a trillion lol go right ahead. Along with ur stocklist and setup.

- I will do my best to get a pic of the new setup that I did today. :D

No pics.

96w quad PC, AC500 fuge. 1 pep shrimp & 1 blue neon goby, as well as some snails & hermits.

My suggestion for great 5.5g:

70w MH( possibly with 28w actinic if needed) & external 2.5g or 5.5g fuge with multi-output return.

This is where I'm at right now with my 5.5 project. I made the birch box cover a little taller than the tank, so air can still get to the durso. And i made the box cover longer than the tank. Because I was going to use the space behind the aromatic cedar door for some storage. But lately I've been thinking about trimming down the box with my jigsaw. Because the box look's to long next to the tank. And I don't really need the extra storage space. I will be making a 70 watt MH fixture out of the brink's security light. And I already have a SCWD for the tank to test water flow. But for right now I've had to put this project on hold. Because my older brother is dieing from cancer. And I need to save all my money for a plane ticket. So that I can get to Arkansaw for his funeral.

I won't clog your post with my pics -- you can click on the link in my signature to check it out. I'll have more updates today when I get my camera back.

DSC_0005_2.jpg

Cadlights 5g

12w T5

7 lbs LR (probably add more this week)

1" LS on bottom

1 tiny red legged hermit

6 various snails (mix of algea eaters and sand sifters

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 fire shrimp

1 ocellaris clown

1 neon green toadstool

2 small frogspawn heads

1 frag yellow polyps (25?)

1 frag pulsing xenia (growing like crazy)

hey argent very nice tank....hows that angel doing??? I had one in my 35 gallon once upon a time.

very nice mullman that will be looking nice in a couple months!

distantfire- good luck

- i think ill put 2 clown gobies in my 5.5 with a fireshrimp for sure!!

so far so good - the angel doesn't go hide when I enter the room now - and so I've been able to observe him -- doesn't seem to bother my corals at all either.

This is where I'm at right now with my 5.5 project. I made the birch box cover a little taller than the tank, so air can still get to the durso. And i made the box cover longer than the tank. Because I was going to use the space behind the aromatic cedar door for some storage. But lately I've been thinking about trimming down the box with my jigsaw. Because the box look's to long next to the tank. And I don't really need the extra storage space. I will be making a 70 watt MH fixture out of the brink's security light. And I already have a SCWD for the tank to test water flow. But for right now I've had to put this project on hold. Because my older brother is dieing from cancer. And I need to save all my money for a plane ticket. So that I can get to Arkansaw for his funeral.

How much was that fixture? Did it come with a ballast? What wattage is the bulb?

i have a current satilite 40watt fixture. maxi jet 400. and an aquaclear fuge that im not turning on untill i can figure out a way to reduce flow.

as far as stock, i have a pulsing xenia, 20 or 30 zoos, pink star polyps, GSP, some unknown green and orange spiked polyp.

non-photosynt

Thread with my 6 gal NC and 5g hexagon here.

Photos of other people's tanks with zoas, polyps, just like the composition , here and here.

- 6500K daylight light stimulates algae growth, 50/50 will help a lot.

- one small fish is OK,

- mushrooms, zoas, hammer, frogspawn, candycane, xenia, GSP - all will grow good, if will be too big - check brandon429 posts for advice. I like a few colorful spots in the tank, like white xenia - bright red mushrooms, neon-green mushrooms or candycane, in the corners of imaginary triangle.

- fire shimp is the best animal, I ever had in the tank,

- my hermits killed all astreas, not for shells - I added a lot of empty shells of different sizes. They also are killing each other, blue-legged are almost all gone.

Good luck. With 65W of light you have almost unlimited possibilities.

got some news about my tank....... my 3 stripped damsal died for a reason i dont know. now my tank is all cloudy...its very wierd. i am doing a 3 gallon water change tonight and well see how its goin. ill post pics of it soon.

got some news about my tank....... my 3 stripped damsal died for a reason i dont know. now my tank is all cloudy...its very wierd. i am doing a 3 gallon water change tonight and well see how its goin. ill post pics of it soon.

Sorry to hear about that. :(

Archived