Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting a 30g long

FCLymond

Hey all,

I'm in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tank, to combine a couple of smaller nanos I've been running. Trying to figure out how to light this thing...

It's standard dimensions -- 36x13 top -- with a glass cover. I was considering putting 2x96w PCs on top -- the retro kit from CSL. Anyone have this? How is it? In particular, how does one install the kit -- which standard light strip do I need to make this work?

Also, should I consider MHs on this tank? I'm looking to keep nothing more complicated than softies and shrooms...

Thanks in advance.

FCL

Let me know if you hear anything. I am currently thinking about setting my 30long and am wanting to do 2x96 lights. Or a 400W double metal halide by cooltouch lighting. So let me know what you end up going with.

all right heres the deal im doing the same for my 30 long im am just starting it up to and also like you im going to go with a 2x96 hood . go to hellolights.com they have them for 190 with every thing bulbs the hole nine yards its a new set up from coralife its called a double linear strip should be a picture on the start up page it comes with fans and every thing the are also at marineandreef.com but they are cheaper at hello lights remeber they are new but i saves you about 80 dollars (excuse the spelling).so check them out tell me what you think it a good deal but like you guys i need some diffrent opinions .

:) :) jacob a.k.a tang27 hahaha

First off, you guys keep saying you have a 30 gal long....this would mean your tanks are 48"x12"x12"(technically 33 gallons). Is this correct or do you have a standard 30 gal tank: 36"x12"x17"?

If you're not doing anything more than softies or most LPS, I would suggest just doing the 2x96W retro as they are 36" long. However, if you have a "long" tank as you are saying, I would suggest 2 MH's....probably just 175 watters for softies.

Archived