Cultivated Reef

My first pico! 2G tank journal

Justabeginner

hi all

well here goes my first attempt at a pico. done a few nanos now for myself and friends which worked out just great.

I am restricted by space on my desk at work, so a pico trial it is B)

The tank is 30cm x 18cm H x 17.4cm W. It currently only has a layer of argonite sand and a little powerhead (supposed to be 300l/h but I sincerely doubt it :lol: )

Going to put a nice bit of rock in there today, hopefully I can find a nice single piece, failing that a couple of smaller ones to make a little bomby in the middle.

Lighting I have got a single 12" batten but I was going to try and source a compact fluro at the hydroponic shop here in Cairns ..... have to see how I go because I would like some soft coral in there.

Water changes will be weekly, 5L.

I'll post some pics when I find my camera ......

Any tips and tricks people post will be appreciated :D

cheers

Ange

FIND THE CAMERA I WANNA SEEW!

I have a 10 gallon and I always wanted to go smaller, I love smaller tanks I don't why.

Iv heard of a lot of tanks crashing at work so be carefull I guess thats all i can say ( as if it wasn't implied)

Anywais good luck

P.S need pics of picos to survive on please post

post-8154-1159222534_thumb.jpg

ok, here is the first pic. as you can see I have got a whole of one rock in there :lol: there was a decorator crab on the rock too which is a bit of a bonus! no point trying to take a photo of it - it is that well covered in bits and pieces that you can't see it unless it moves!!

Cool tank! Whatever you put in your tank the crab will stick it on him so watch out.

As for the the rockwork, I think that it would be cool if you got another tall piece and made like two little "islands"

just an idea

texx

cheers texx :-D I'll have to watch the little bugger then! It doesn't currently have any sponges or coral bits stuck on it, just algae bits ....

I'm hoping to get back to the marine shop this week to scope out the rock again. It's the same old story, you think you have got the size right, put it in and bugger it's not enough :lol:

I'll be taking the fluro light that I have at home in tomorrow, I know it's not going to be sufficient for any coral but at least it will light the tank up. It just goes to show how people don't really tank much notice of what is on your desk, only a couple of people have noticed so far .... bet that will change once the light goes on.

cheers

Ange

ok, so now the single little fluro is on and I found a bit of rock to put in there. It is a 'T' shape on the right hand side. There is a cool big black feather duster worm living in it which I will have to try and get a photo of. I will be bringing my camera into work on Monday to take the pics ....

Already had the first water change to get some of the 'gunk' off the bottom around the rocks.

Justabeginner

ok, here are a couple of updated photos.

ok, here is a updated photo of the whole tank with the light on.

post-8154-1159764201_thumb.jpg

here is a pic of the decorator crab

post-8154-1159764331_thumb.jpg

still trying to decide what livestock to put in it ......

almost forgot, here is the feather duster. the line down the middle is an old silicon mark when I had used this tank for siamese fighting fish :lol:

post-8154-1159764966_thumb.jpg

i cant see the crab, but i would move ur powerhead higher, so it creates a surface ripple. that is a MUST and u'll get much better gas exhange. move ur powerhead a top.

The tank is coming along nicely! Nice rock too.

Are you going to be adding any corals? I know that the crabs can stick zoo's to them but that is all that I have ever heard about other than sponges, and algae.

texx

ps-Check out my 2.5G in the Pico Reef Forums!

Justabeginner

the crab is underneath that sponge blob, which is attached to her back - very talented at hiding I can assure you. If you look close you can see the 'nail' on one of her legs down near the bottom right.

Yep the powerhead is up higher, pointing up a bit, the suction caps are a bit failing in the 'sucking' part :lol: I've got a clip holding it up now.

Livestock is going to be lavender dottyback, corallimorph and brown buttons (stuff from my nano tank!) The crab found a new home because I did get a bit concerned that the crab would mangle the buttons and the dottyback is a cranky little bugger and has already killed it's share of inverts in my nano ....... so the crab is now happily residing in my friends 4ft tank!

I am going away for 6 weeks so won't be able to update for a while on this tank :( but it's good because I'm off to New Zealand :D

So until I return - happy reefing!

cheers

Ange

Archived