Innovative Marine Aquariums

Thinking of stocking possibilities

FK3

Well my 5.5 has been cycling a few days...I am starting to more seriously research my livestock possibilites (my demensions are 16x10x8).

I am curious what arer some corals that are fairly easy for beginners? I am planning on buying a 32watt retro fit with one 10000k and one antinic.

Also I am interested in my fish possiblities. Are two fish possible? My mom has taken a liking to percs and damsels whats the deal?

I have over 10 years of fresh water experience and over a year of brackish experience if that helps at all ;)

Anything Im missing? All and any tips/hints more than welcomed

My parimeters are as follows so far...

gravity 1.024

ammonia 1ppm

P.h. 8.3

Nitrite 0.50ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

does this sound right only a couple days in?

Thanks,

FK3

Hi. Good to see a new reefer on the board.

I am curious what are some corals that are fairly easy for beginners? I am planning on buying a 32watt retro fit with one 10000k and one antinic.

In terms of corals, I'd say that it's definitely a case of whatever takes your fancy. (After all, this tank will be costing you itself an aweful lot of time and effort in the near future!:P ) With your lighting and size of tank, I'd suggest that you stick to softies such as Xenia, Zooanthids and Mushrooms, especially in the beginning as they are generally easy to care for and can be commonly and cheaply found. (Even in the UK where I live!)

I would also recommend that you buy Eric Bornemann's recent book "Aquarium Corals" that I have found invaluable when selecting corals for my aquaria.

Also I am interested in my fish possiblities. Are two fish possible? My mom has taken a liking to percs and damsels whats the deal?

In a tank of this size, it is probably advisable to keep only one fish (with two being an absolute maximum in a well established tank with copious amounts of live rock). Generally, I would have to say that damsels are a 'no-no' in nano tanks as they will restrict the addition of any future fish due to their territorial nature. A small perc is a possibility although I would add that small blennies and gobies often have more character and are more interesting in their behaviour than clownfish. Bicolor blennies or other small blennies are some of my favourites for small tanks as they do not appear 'constrained' by the confines of the tank.

gravity 1.024

ammonia 1ppm

P.h. 8.3

Nitrite 0.50ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Does this sound right only a couple days in?

This is definitely a good set of results for only a couple of days into the cycle and you must have obtained fully cured live rock.

When you buy your new lighting, you may need to install a cooling fan in order to bring you temperature down to the correct levels. (Maximum 82F)

Good luck with your new tank

Chris

Archived