Cultivated Reef

Hyposalinity and Live Rock

xfactorpr

My firefish in my nano cube 6 had some kind of parasites all over it, i never found out if it was ich or something else. I lowered the salinity down in the main tank because cash is tight to get a qt tank and hes the only one in there. Took out all the inverts and put them into my 10g. Left the live rock in there because i didnt want to spread the parasites to the 10g. Now i noticed alot of the bristle worms died and alot of those lil bug looking pods died also, did i kill the live rock with lowering the salinity down to 1.010? Or is the beneficial bactieria still ok in there?

The firefish recovered within 24 hours after i lowered the salinity by the way!! he looked like he was on his last limb but now he looks better than b4!!!

But the question is, new live rock? or is the live rock ok in there?

Considering people do freshwater dips to kill parasites (worms, virus, bacteria, etc) I would think that the bacteria which are in the LR are highly susceptible to lowered salinity too. This is simply an educated guess, but I would expect there to be a cycle of some sort what with all the dead critters (worms, pods, etc) in addition to a diminished bacterial population to deal with it. Definitely take a piece of LR from your 10g and put it in to help seed the other LR once you raise the salinity back up.

In general, invertibrates are more sensitive to osmatic changes than vertibrates.

It doesn't suprise me to hear that a lot of your small inverts died after shifting the salinity (specific gravity). How quick did you do it? Over a period of minutes, hours, or days?

You didn't kill your LR, you just killed a lot of the beneficial critters. It is entirely likely that some of those little guys made it, either by toughing it out or by dropping eggs that could take the shift.

Once the SG is constant, give it some time and you might see a rebound in the population of pods, etc.

Thanks for the replys!!!

I lowered the salinity within a day, a couple hrs at a time. Felt bad, the little critters looked like they were poisoned. jumping out of the rock and going crazy and the poor bistle worms kinda just froze in place. Not a nice sight!!!

But as you said i hope it does recover because is a nice piece of rock where the firefish lives and id hate to make him go thro more stress. I noticed there are alot of air bubbles collecting on the top of the rock all day long. What could that be?

Hey quick update, saw some pods!!! i forget their name but they look like bugs and get pretty big, saw some small ones on the rock!!!!!! Theres life again on mars lol

Archived