SaltCritters.com

button polyps

me03

Can anyone tell me what commonly eats button polyps? Water all within normal limits. Have seen hitchhiker bristleworm. Just found hitchhiker emerald crab husk. What ever it is it's tearing up my polyps! Help.

I've seen some hermits and emeralds do it....most reef safe fish don't touch them. I've never seen a bristle worm touch them.

I'd suspect crabs.

Cameron

I found an emerald crab husk today. He must come out at night. It's either my red leg hermits or the emerald. Do you know any way to keep them well fed so that they leave my polyps alone?

Emerald crabs are known for having a taste for polyps. It depends on the individual crab. I've had mine for quite some time and he is not even remotely interested in my polyps of any kind. Yet, I've seen others that it has become they're goal in life to destroy all the polyps on the planet. Some hermits will also eat polyps, but red leg hermits tend to be the most tame towards the corals IMO. So, my money is that you got yourself a naughty emerald. Get rid of the little polyp muncher!;)

I found one in the tank last night. Took him out. He made it clear his goal was to destroy all polyps! What do I do with him now? Is there any hope of rehabilitation?

What you do no is really up to you, you could:

a) Send him for counseling with a pet psychiatrist who will let him know that these acts of aggresion are due to residual childhood tension.

B) wait until he molts then.... dip him in buttermilk, coat him in cornmeal and fry...mmmmmm, softshell crab

c) return him to an LFS where, if your lucky, you might get a fw bucks towards store credit.

d) If you have a refugium, dump him in there.

e) send him to St. Barthalomews Home for Wayward Crabs.

I would have tough time deciding between B) and c)

Good luck;)

The Crab psychiatrist found that he was a sociopath with of course homocidal tendencies and grandious delusions of being a snow crab. I gave him to the LFS. Good message thanks

Archived