inTank Media Baskets

Darn Hair Alage!

GuyontheCouch

Well, my tank is just about done with the initial cycle, but im getting spots of HA. What would be my best course of action?? My lfs suggested more turbos (I have one, which i thought would be good for a 2.5 gal) , but i thought they were only good for diatoms. Would taking the rock out and scrubbing in freshwater be a good idea, or would that kill the rock and start the cylce over? Any helpo would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

p.s. It is a 2.5 gal tank, aquaclear 20 filter, and 18 watts PC lighting. All tests show next to zero, but just a hint of nitrates left from the initial cycle.

I can personally attest that the procedure found here works for getting the algae down to a level that your cleanup crew can manage. The key is to make sure the water going into your tank is low in nutrients and that you aren't adding too many with feedings and bioload from livestock.

turbos are great for hair algae. Also, a toothbrush can work wonder on hair algae. so scrub away! I have not have any problems taking rocks out and scrubbing them.

turbos are great for hair algae. Also, a toothbrush can work wonder on hair algae. so scrub away! I have not have any problems taking rocks out and scrubbing them.

I have a 2.5g, had some HA put in 10 yes 10 blue hermits, 5 turbo, and no more algae.......course i took most of them out but stil have 3 turbos and 4 hermits. Not a spec of HA anymore!!!! :lol: A of course that just my own experience. I should only have like one of each....... :)

I agree with everything so far. water changes and nitrate reducing are key. Advice I was taught is to figure out what caused it to grow? High nitrates are probably key since youre almost done the cycle. Water changes + CUC + toothbrush & net (to catch the hair thats removed) + not overfeeding livestock = 1 happy tank!

Thanks everybody for all the replies.

I am using bottled water (NOT distilled) that claims it has been treated by ozonation (sp.) which i figure is the same as an R.O. I might see if my lfs sells R.O. water if anybody here hates the idea of using bnottled water. I scrubbed my rocks in a seperate container...so we will see what heppens!

PIcs should come soon!

Archived