SaltCritters.com

Maybe an Emerald Crab?

Hurricane

Another hitchiker. This came from the same piece of rock as my post below. It is a crab that is green with what appears to be yellowish bands on its legs. I have not been able to see much of it b/c it has stayed in/under the rock I bought. I have had the rock for three days and on the second day the thing molted (see pic) I have noticed a claw sticking out and it looked flatish with one claw being longer than the other. The claws did seem long compared to the rest of the body. It did have a bit of hair on its leg. It may be about a 1/4 of an inch wide. Could it be an emerald crab? If so, I have five hairy shrooms and a pulsating xenia, but I also have two types of algae. The first is a flourescent green algea on the substrate and the other is a thick/clumpy black algea also on the substrate (don't know the names of the algae). This could be food.

thanks

Harry

Bucket o Chum

Itr still doesn't look like a crab since of the carapace shape and the highly elongated claws. Also I don't think most crabs have there tails visible from above even when they molt.

Well, yes, or course, that was why I guessed a shrimp or small lobster. Definitely, NOT a crab from what you can see in the pic. I think you are right about the crab tails, they seem to be tucked under the carapace even in molts.

Archived