Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluctuating temps.

caja

I installed my CSL PC 2x32 lamp kit into my Eclispe 6 hood about two weeks ago and have noticed that I get quite a temperature change between my day temp and overnight temp. It stays around 82 degrees during the day, but when I get up in the morning it's at about 78. Is this a big deal or no worries?

I've vented the hood with five 1/2" holes to dissipate the heat of the bulbs. My heater is set at about 77 degrees, so it doesn't come on during the day at all.

i wouldn't worry about it. in the wild there's probably a greater variation but then again it's optimal conditions in the wild.

worry about it in the warmer months to come (84F+). invest in a small desk fan or something similar. and get physh's auto top-off. hth

Hehehe...thanks for the plug:D

A 4 degree variance is acceptable but a fan or something like tinyreef suggested may help kvent that heat a little...you are still well within tolerable numbers.

Cameron

hey cajastan,

I have close to the same setup, try a fan on your hood, It will get rid of all that heat getting stuck in there. I had trhe same problem until i did that.

later,

Dan

i wish i had a picture to show you, but i basically just cut about a 3" square hole right in the center of the hood above the lamps, through the reflector and through the hood itself. THen bolted down a computer case fan on top of the hood. It keeps the temp down well, BUT you'll have a major evaporation issue. After i did this i had to build a top-off as well. but that's another conversation :)

HTH

Hmmm, sounds interesting. So far the vents in the hood seem to be doing the trick, but once the weather warms up I know I'll have some major heat issues. I'll look into the computer fan. Does it make alot of noise?

No audible noise at all, the trickling of the filter is louder than the faint hum it puts out.

I actually have some pictures now. It's a slow day, the boss is gone, so i snagged a couple stills with a digital camcorder we have laying around. It's not pretty, and they're low res but you should get the idea of how i mounted the fan on.

Buzz, was it hard to retro that light in that canopy? What kind of ballast did you use and where is it?

Thanx

Also, caj, how are you fitting two 32W csl in your stock eclipse hood?

Mac,

This is the kit i got: (the 32W)

http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/smar...lite-retro.html

It's not an exact retrofit on the smaller eclipse hoods, but all i had to do was pull the old lighting assembly out and drill holes for the new ones. I actually had to trim a half inch or so off the reflector too, but no bigge, there's plenty of room for the bulb itself. The ballast comes with it and is attached to a reasonably long cord. You can't see it because it's laying on the floor behind the tank.

hope that helps, are you trying one of these tanks out too?

Yeah, I considered it! I was thinking of getting my 6g eclipse up a running but wasn't sure if a 32W retro would fit. Guess it will. I think my 6g eclipse is at my grandmothers, I was letting her use it for some bettas. I will have to see if she is done using it! Guess depends on if it has any scratches on it!

Dunno, also thought about a 7g minibow!

If you already have the eclipse, you can go a long way with it. But if i had to start again I'd go with the bowfront, if only for the extra real estate the hood provides.

If you do try out the eclipse, let us know what you end up doing. I'm always interested to see how people get around the problems with the cramped hood on these tanks. :)

Yeah, that is where the problem is...the hood. I definately would not use the filter system, I would somehow DIY for a hob filter. That just leaves a lot of wasted hood!

No what I mean!

I thought about doing the same thing, but decided against in the end because I kind of like how the whole filter package is hidden up in there like it is. For asthetic reasons I've tried to keep it intact, but It's a pain in the ass to be blunt. Hopefully i'm done packing stuff into it though.

I'd like to see a DIY hang on back on an eclipse 6 hood to see how it looks. Are you volunteering as a guinea pig?!

Wow, hell I would love to be the first, but let me see if she is still using the tank and if it is all scratched up!

Due to heat and because the canopy is so small I bet you cant use fans, so I guess I would have to get an iceprobe chiller to go in the hob filter.

I will keep you updated!

Ok, well I talked to her last night and she is still using the eclipse 6, so it looks like I won't be using it. I will probably go with a 7g minibow from aga because of the resistance to scratches.

Archived