Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DAY 1 of the NEW 7 AGA BOW

ricknbecky

With the help of the ever wonderful Becky - I started the 7 AGA Bow

Well - not to mention the help of Gill and his site -

7gal AGA MiniBow

50 Watt Tronic Heater

1 Microjet 450 ( throttled back to minimum (I think red is minimum ))

1 Penguin Mini Bio-wheel

15 lbs of LR

10 Lbs of LS

and of course the 32W CSL retrofit

here is a cloudy Day 1 pic -

Anyone care to comment on the rock layout - I am sure I am going to get Becky to redo it

I think the LR looks fine the way it is, but you may want to move it around once you're ready to add corals and such. Also, are you able to move the heater behind the rock?

Not sure what I can do with the heater, I adjusted it and now have it at the top of the tank about 2" below the water line parallel to the water line

I snaped a few more pics - trying to get better with this digital camera, as I am setting up a nice website for Becky's 20 and my 7

Anyonw know how to attach multiple images for 1 reply - anyone care to take a look - I am doubtful that some of this stuff will survive the cycle-

BTW - MAN!!!!! Does this thing have evaporation.... and I am going to have to install a PC fan as it stays at 81.5 even though the house is at 78

If there's one thing I've learned with reef tanks with proper lighting it's that it gets HOT. Nothing much you can do about it besides trying to use fans. Or if you want to go the expensive route, a chiller.

Another approach you may want to try is removing your powerheads (if you have any) just for a day and see how the temperature changes. In these small tanks, powerheads can make a surprising difference in water temperature.

Beyond that, just try for a stable temperature. If your temperature happens to sit at 82 F, with the lights on, try to get your heater to keep that temp when the lights are off. The swings in temperature are what really kill you. Within reason of course.

Your live rock looks amazing. I can't believe you got the kind of coral you have on the rock. Very, very nice. I'm sure if you can keep the temperature stable, all will recover.

John

Thanks for the comments - I will leave the power head off today and see where the temp stays.... I am wondering if the little Pengiun biowheel would give enough circulation though....

The tronic has no issues keeping the temp the same however..

I am just worried 81 is too high.

Hey Rick & Becky,

I too am having a problem with higher temps. My tank runs between 80 to 82. I have removed my PH and that seams to help a bit. BTW, I'm in Tampa too....

Your LR looks just like what I saw at Tampa Bay Saltwater, is that were you obtained it?

Good luck with your set up, looks good,

Rob

Well leaving the powerhead off didnt do much like .5

is a tank at 81 going to be ok? Does that exclude me from keeping anything??

And yea I got the rock at TBS - Rich is a quasi-buddy ( I have done a bit of computer fixing for him before )

But as soon as my levels go down I am off to Melbourne ( Logical Reef ) and Fish and other Itchy stuff in Oldsmar

Becky and I stocked the other tank at Itchy stuff

Archived