tank is 2 and a half months old.  

equipment:

rio 50 powerhead

micro-chiller

32 watt powercompact

Livestock:

7lbs live rock

14 lbs live sand

one neon dottyback (sorry I put it in but it was mispriced and my wife loved it)

one bar goby

green star polyps

purple mushrooms

3 green ricordia mushrooms

red mushrroms

striped mushroom (not visible)

toadstool leather

finger leather

bubble coral

torch coral

purple reef lobster

peppermint shrimp

one turbo grazer snail

3 red leg hermits

yellow gorgonia

2 frilly mushrooms

anthelia

tank1smaller.jpg

(Edited by Crakeur at 8:37 am on June 11, 2002)

(Edited by Crakeur at 8:38 am on June 11, 2002)

That is a whole tank pic.  I cropped off the edges to make the file smaller but there was nothing else to show.  What other stats are you looking for?  Everything is running perfect, no ammonia etc.   My only concern right now is the 95 degree weather.  I put the tank in front of a window to get morning sunlight but the microchiller is sucking the heat right out.  I highly recommend either buying one or making your own if you have heat problems.  They aren't real expensive and they aren'd that ugly.  They add circulation, even if you turn the chiller off (attached to a hang on filter).  Thinking of trying out a couple of sps corals to see how they do.  I'll post new pics once they get established (assuming they do).

I've got a neon dotty too and love it.  Its the only fish I have in the tank so I dont have a problem with it being too mean.  The lfs had it mispriced,... how much did you pay?  At mine they go for $60 but I got mine for $25.  My only prob. is he is still pretty shy.

youa re gonna try sps with 32w? sorry to tell you they arent going to survive.....maybe some m cap but they will not hold coor....add at least another 32w on there then try it....

paid $12 for the neon dottyback -  couldn't pass up the bargain.  He leaves the bar goby alone.  probably because they were in the same tank at the lfs.  As for the lighting, I get direct sunlight on the tank so the lighting might be strong enough.  A friend who runs his own tank maintenance and livestock business (from his home) is going to pass along a couple of frags.  If they don't seem to be doing well, I will pass them back to him immediately.  Just want to see if the combination of pc and sunlight is enough.  Like I said, I will update if it works.

dude, bar gobies get about 5 inches long. don't you think that's kinda big for a 7 gallon. plus they really like to be in groups. other than that, you have a really nice tank. i love that neon dottyback. i can't believe you got him for 12 bucks! all your corals look great too.

I know that bar gobies get big.  When it gets too big I will transfer him to a 155 gallon tank I have set up in my office.  When I bought the dottyback, the bar goby was acting like it wanted to come home with me.  Swam into the net twice and didn't shy away from being caught.  Clearly the little guy (gal?) wasn't happy there so I gave him (her?) a better home.  

Would you still recommend the neon dottyback if he were the only fish in the tank?  How exactly is he mean?  I was thinking of getting one.  

Also, where did you get the micro chiller?  How much was it?  How does it work?   Who makes it?  :conf:

Neon dottybacks are nice to look at and mine swims all over the tank so it isn't that bad.  However, I had an aiptasia problem and he grabbed every peppermint shrimp I put in the tank, except for one tiny one.  He goes after anything that I put in the tank, even if it is to just take a closer look.  No more shrimp for me.  If you put the dottyback in last (after other fish and shrimp) you might not run into any problems.  I wouldn't have put mine in if I thought it would take out my cleaner shrimp.  Still, real pretty and very visible.

The microchiller can be found on a few different websites but whenever I tried to order them I was told they were on backorder.  Finally, I came across premium aquatics.  Cory had the microchiller in my home in under a week.  The case came cracked so I had to buy a new aquaclear filter to house it but Cory gave me $25 credited to my credit card and a $25 credit in the store.

They sell the chiller and just the ice probe.  Chiller is $190, probe alone is $105.  Here's the link:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Minichill

And the chiller works great.

that looks real nice.  why is the picture so big?  could you post a pic where you can see the whole thing at once?  awesome tank.  i just got the minibow 7 and it is so nice.

pic is so big because I had the settings on the digital that way.  I will be posting more pics in the near future and I will lower the pic size.

Archived