inTank Media Baskets

Input on a 2 gal pico... I'm a newb

chellekins29

Heya board!

K, I'm a SW newb, 10 gal running since Feb and I have a couple of pieces of well cured well coralined LR that are without corals, resulting from my learning experiences with the 10. I'm still a total newb but instead of donating the LR frags to my lfs I thought I might add a 2 gal hex to my desk, add the LR frags, some GSP I have, and possibly some shrooms that have decided to migrate around my 10 gal. Zoas later, etc.

Today's purchases (Walmart :( )

*2 gal hex, painted the background this evening

*5lbs crushed coral (Wanted LS but lfs didn't carry, was the best I could do)

*Whisper 1-3 gal internal filter for flow, throwing away the UGF that came with the tank, totally worthless. Should I add an airstone for additional flow though?

*2-5 gal heater, 7.5 watt temp controlled

*10 Watt flourescent to replace the 15 watt that came with the tank?? Which bulb is better?

I don't have much LR, just a couple frags but plan on adding more. I figure that since the substrate is crushed coral, uncured, I have quite some time to just let the thing sit and cycle, AKA get more LR.

Thoughts for cheap improvements?

As for the airstone, I would just skip that. If you are finding there isn't enough flow try putting in a low flow submersible pump. You should be fine in a 2 gallon though.

Rye Courtney

Did you get that flat heater? If so I have not heard the best things about them.

If its crushed coral that comes in a bag dry then there should be no cycle. There is nothing on it die off and cause a swing in amonia.

Ditch the airstone.

Get a coralife 50/50 screw in. Is that a 18in floursent bulb? If so get a 50/50 in that.

Lastly for the LR dont make my mistake and put too much LR in your tank as you wont have room to add maky frags later that are attached to stuff.

HTH

I ditched the heater, was pushing the temp too high. The bulb that I put in there is a 10 watt flourescent, about 6inches long. This is a tiny 2 gal hex, so imagine a beta tank. I have less than a lb of LR in there, thinking of picking up a half lb and see what that looks like.

I'm hoping it goes well.

How long would the bacteria from the LR take to permiate the substrate, I wonder?

Archived