Innovative Marine Aquariums

damsels in a 20gallon??

jackdp

I had 3 damsels (2 yellow tail, 1 domino) and a ocellaris in my 20 gallon long tank with 25 lbs LR and 1 cabbage leather. Well, it would appear that the damsels beat my clown to death. I can't find anything else wrong. They've all been fine together in the tank for almost 2 months. My question, what's the consensus on damsels in a tank this size? Would I be better off ridding myself of them and getting some more peaceful fish. My LFS seemed to think that the LONG tank and all the rock would keep the fish from fighting.

NO NO AND NO. Did you bother to even look up how big those damsels get? They yellow tails get to 3" a peice and the domino will get 6". Ever bother to look up temperment? They don't get along well. What is wrong is the fact that they are in that tank. Your LFS is retarded.

I'm with Oscar. Damsels are a poor choice for a community of fish. I would dump them. The domino especially. Ounce for ounce, one of the meanest buggers out there.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say kill them. But, they are VERY aggressive. However, some of the coolest fish I've had have been damsels. If you have them keep them in a tank by themselves.

My very first saltwater tank had a three-stripe and a blue damsel. They got along well and the blue damsel did its nesting thing by picking up substrate and putting it somewhere else. Loved that.

John

Archived