ReefCleaners.org

?'s About: Topping Off + Dosing Kalk.

Raise

Hi, I just recently got my 5.5 set up and I have a couple questions about topping off and dosing kalkwasser.

1) Can I top it off daily with RO and still do weekly or bi-weekly 20% water changes??

2) Id like to does kalk to try and maintain stable calcium levels and inhibit coral health/ good coralline growth. Could I just drip Kalk. nightly? Or how would you guys recommend I do so? Thanks.

Ray

#1-yes! the more frequently you can top-off the less your critters will be stressed by salinity changes.

#2 the way you phrased your question was a lil goofy-you might edit it to clarify, but i think you have the right idea.

kalk will help maintain calcium levels (and indirectly carbonate hardness) while also bolstering pH. night would be the best time to drip in kalk as its high pH will help balance out the nightly dip (in pH which is accounted for by the lack of photosynthesis).

have you thought about an auto top-off? you could do kalk in there and since it will be added in relatively small quantities, the pH rise shouldn't be an issue. HTH!

tg

HEhe, my speech gets goofy at times, sorry.

How would I do an auto top off?

On my 55g I have a big 40g bucket on a shelf above the tank. There is a float valve in the sump, which is connected directly to the 40g bucket/container. IM a little confused how I would do it with the nano since there is no sump or anything.... Please educate me! Thanks

Ray

check out physh1's homepage-californiareefs.com. he sells an electric float switch that will turn on/off a powerhead which can be used to feed water from a source (five gallon bucket on floor, tupperware juice container sitting next to tank, etc) make sense?

tg

Yes, actually I was told to check him out by a couple guys on RC, but unfortunatly his page is down. :( But that is exaclty what im looking for, kind of failure proof. Thanks for helping me out man!

I would not dose with kalk in a 5.5 unless you are very comfortable with it. In that small of a tank, a slight overdose will spike your ph hard. Use B-Ionic, its manageable and will take care of your alkalinity as well as your calcium without much risk to your ph. Just my NSHO.;)

i am pretty comfortable with it, but ill still look into what you suggested. Nothing like being sure AND comforatable!

Archived