inTank Media Baskets

Perculaanenome, I need help

zizmans

I want to get a percula and a green anenome (I know there is a proper name, but i forgot it) From what I've read, I'm a little confused. 1) Does the perc have to be wild caught? 2) What, if any other fish can I put in the tank (7 gal,7 lbs live rock) I'd really like to have two fish. (not to the point that I'd stresskilletc.) so 3) How about a mated pair of percs? What is the best way of going about this? I'd imagine finding a pair would not be very easy, as well I'm looking for small ones. Should I put 2 in the tank of different sizes? Big first? small first? 2 weeks in between? I say mated pair because I was told that if they are not they will fight to the death over the anenome. Or maybe they would anyways? Any help would be appreciated. My tank has finished cycling and I'm using all of my restraint to make well informed decisions.

Keng Yew, Leong

All percs are male when they are born.Only larger ones will develop into a female.Therefore stock it with 1 small and 1 large clown.You can get tank bred clowns.They are slightly more expensive but hardier.The amount of fish you can keep really depends on how well you can manage the bioload.I can say..2 fishes is the max a 7 gallon can keep.

Captive bred clowns will tend not to chose not to host to anything more frequently then their wild counterparts, but there are a number of tricks to "convince" the clown to host if it's important enough to you. We are Man, we can outsmart Fish.

Spudds.

I was told today by a guy at the Marine Scene (great reef store) that to get your perc to host in whatever it is your trying to get it to host in, to feed the clown as close as possible to the anemone, or in my case bubble coral. He said to use a turkey baster to feed my bubble and the clown will be right there cleaning up the bits of food that float free. Said it would take a while, but it worked for him. Anyone else try this before?

Read 'Clownfishes' by joyce wilkerson. There isn't a whole lot you can do to encourage a hosting relationship. Match the percula with it's favorite host (either bubble tip anemone or heteractis magnifica I believe) and hope for the best. Anemones dont live for long in smaller tanks, though. Read Marks's article in the articles section.

hth

Archived