inTank Media Baskets

Shelf life 08/10/06 Fiji pink sand

mahi mahi boy

Man, I just bought this 20 lb bag of Fiji pink sand at a LFS. I get home and it has a shelf life for 12 months, so I look and it says use before 08/10/06 ...what's dying off in it, and will some still be in there? I'm going to use it probably next week. I'm assuming it's just bacteria that can be reseeded with LR?

Thanks

Mahi

It was the closest forum I could find.

Discuss coral propagation and the aquaculture of fish, live rock, etc.

I thought live sand propagates organisms/ bacterium.

live rock / live sand Do you know if this sand is still "good"?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything but I have a quick question.

I just set my second SW tank and it is 2.5G. I added my sand, filter, and light. The water is starting to clear up but there is this wierd filmy stuff on the surface. This never happened when I setup my 5.5G tank.

Any help is apprecitated.

texx

I really don't know. The water is almost done clearing up. If the film doesn't receed any then I am just going to take the tank down and start all over.

Do you think that it could be cause by the sand maybe?

texx

The Propagator

Definately. You didnt rinse it well enough and all the lighter particles have floated to the surface.

add on an HOB filter to polish it out.

It will be fine.

I don't really know. I just started researching SW a few weeks ago. But I remember a cloudy surface slick in my freshwater tank the same day I used crushed coral from FL.

edit+

That would make sense, propagator. I didn't rinse mine well enough either.

I bet it is probably the sand. It is that Argonite(sp?) live stuff that is in a bag with water. I had some of it left over after settingu up my 5.5G tank a couple months ago. So you think that it will be ok?

On a side note, I plan on doing all PE zoo's!

texx

• 2 weeks later...

Archived