Innovative Marine Aquariums

WORKING Auto Water Changer!

chill105

Has there been any problems with your salinity rising? Are you adding FRESH water to take care of evaporation? I like that idea because sometimes I'm away for a while and though I trust my nieghbor to feed the tank, I wouldn't trust them to do water changes.

I was going to start my own thread on this, but since it's directly related I may as well post here :).

Firstly, brilliant idea. The only problem I have with it is the pump (which cost about $130 you said), which I didn't feel like paying for. A bit of research online, and I bought this bad boy for $9.99 on ebay.

post-24978-1170209273_thumb.jpg

A nice lab grade, 4 channel peristaltic pump that transfers up to 1300ml/h with the right tubing.. sweet :). So, two water containers, tubing and the pump all only ran me about $60-$70.

Because it can tranfer at such high rates I'm only going to leave it on during the time I'm at work and I'll get more than enough water changed out. Also, I bought tygon norprene tubing which apparently will last forever. At least thats what the internets tell me, and I'm certainly inclined to trust them.

Hopefully this helps someone else if they're thinking of implementing this idea.

Cheers

Emrys

Got a link for that pump and the tubing you are using?

• 1 month later...

Just came across this from the update on the DIY Library thread.. .

With a sump, return pump and timer you could set this up to do the changes without the new water dilution effect. Cheaper than two peristaltic pumps for the same effect.

mybuickskill6979

keep keep precipitation down to make sure the slat water stays stirred. thats why youwould do that!!

Archived