Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ricordia Fragging

Grandfinale03

I have this HUGE orange ricordia shroom and I decided to try and frag it. If I lose it its not so bad, i have 5 or 6 more, but I cut it into 1/4's like a pizza. This is my first attempt to frag anything. Did I do it right? I used a brand new razor and made sure i cut all the way through, and straight across the middle. I left it on the rock it was on also. Let me know if I did the procedure ok!

I had cut ricordea into 4 pizza slices before. They would heal back into a circle within 1-2 weeks, but they would STAY small and not grow. I was feeding etc. One day I showed someone buying frags my ric prop container, then the next day all buy 1 frag died. Right now my sucess rate is 25% with my ricordeas.

I cut my golden/blue ric in half, but 1 half died a few weeks later... I'm not taking the risk anymore (since I only have 1)

hey first I AM NO EXPERT , i only did it a cpl times, but heres what i learned,

1. rics should be cut in half only but cut the mouth in half so both pieces

also other shrooms can takle it better like my blue shrooms i cut in 4 and they are ok, but its your risk,,,,,,,

I dont remember if i cut both cuts through the mouth. i think i wasnt sure so i did on through and one not through. Theyre pretty orange ric's. Whats the difference between the 2? I got them from my lfs and they told me they were "Ricordia mushrooms"

I will take a picture tonite when I get home from work.

This isn't my picture, but these are my Ric's. Identical to a "T"

post-20765-1158357376_thumb.jpg

I hope it doesn't fuse back together, but if it does than I didn't lose anything, which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks everybody on your comments so far! I appreciate them so I can learn! Also what is this about ric's being poisonous or toxic?

My .02---

I just sliced up a ric a few months back. It's a Florida and I remember the thread where Prop said you only had to worry about a mouth with a yuma. So I just cut it into slices lengthwise. Only two of the 5 pieces had a mouth. 4 of the five look great today---not full size or anything, but they look good. The 5th one came loose from the rock (I had it bound with fishing line) and it's somewhere in the vast space of my prop tank---never to be seen again. (Maybe)

Archived