SaltCritters.com

Lighting for a Pico-Reef.

One Eyed Bunny

One Eyed Bunny

I've been looking at the JBJ Picotope for some time now, but I would want to keep some small frags of SPS and softies. My only issue is finding a sufficient light source and for a 3 gallon any light source that could be used over a 10 gallon could be too much.

My question is, what do you have over your pico reef and what would you recommend.

My question is, what do you have over your pico reef and what would you recommend.

u can get 10 and 20 watts screw in 50/50 CF bulbs that will fit inot a normal lamp outlet. this will provide u with enough light for a small pico(3 gal max i would think)

one it depends on what you want to grow two its more then just lighting you will need to keep a stable & consistent supply of ca, alk and mg in your tank at all times . you may have some sps like monti maybe some small acros ect... I would recommend using a power compact lighting system somewhat cool and available. led lighting you should look into but the products that we have available are usually sold in a larger version and the lighting method had yet to be perfected and imo needs to be refined???

my 0.02

One Eyed Bunny

I understand alot of the water and bio- chemistry involved, however, I was just concerned with the amount of lighting say some SPS may need, in conjunction with, pristine water quality.

I wasn't sure if MH lighting is significant over PC lighting in any catergory other than penetration. If not, that isn't an issue in a picotope.

Archived