Innovative Marine Aquariums

7g tank

PENEJANE

well I have decided to give this marine thing another go and I gav a 7 gallon tank available. I am looking at only keeping low light corals like mushrooms and some zoas (excuse spelling terms as I am still learning all the new language lol).

With keeping these sort of corals what filtration will I be looking at. I wanted to use a HOB filter but not sure as to how much I am to turn the tank over per hr. Some have told me that the aquaclear 20 would be fine while others have said the aquaclear 50. So I thought I would come and ask thoes that have experience with nanos.

Once I have the filteration speed sorted I can then go and get the filter and look at setting it up.

Cheers

:)

ok how do I make that into a refugium. Never heard of that or what it is supposed to do. Could you please tell me what I am to do to make it a refugium please.

Cheers

I have been doing freshwater tanks for over a year now and still learning things but when it comes to marine I am totaly lost. I currently have a coldwater marine tank with some local bits and pieces from rock pools but never gone into tropical marine.

After looking at that thread and all the others that come off it I have decided that I don't want to do that with this nano. I was just wanting to run the HOB filter empty apart from some coral rubble. Having to run a refugium would require me to rum a second light and to get that other stuff that you put in it I have never seen available down here.

Cheers for the input. Nanos are not a big thing here and quite a few people have never heard of it so I am hoping to show them something that is simple to keep and still provide people with the joy of keeping a reef tank.

Well I got it all setup today thanks to a friend of mine who helped me out with wet rock, sand and water from his tank. Running a 300ltr/hr HOB filter with a 13watt compact fluro (6400K) over it for now. Eventually I will be putting two 18 watts over it which will give me 36 watts of light over a 7gallon tank. I hope to get some pics tonight of it but will see how things go as my camera is pretty crappy lol.

Cheers

i cant wait to see your 7 gal. although making the refugium is not as much work as you might think, and imo it's worth it because it will help lower nitrogen levels in your water. instead of using the same type of grill they are using, just use what's around the house and make your own. if you have silicone/super glue and a CD case, you can use a razor blade and cut several small strips and make your own grill. if you look at my tank you'll see pics of how i turned my 12g ap filter into a refugium.

Remember that its nothing flash and this is my first time at the whole thing. I am wanting to paint the back black but now that its all loaded up I might just add black paper or something during the week. But here it is and no laughing please! hehe

September17th2006.jpg

Cheers.

:P

I don't know what sort of sand that is. It was given to me free so can't complain. Its a bit chunkier than what I wanted to go with this but it comes from a tank that is a holding tank for bits and pieces and has a lot of good algae growth on it so I am using that to help seed my rock and later on down the track I am going to be changing it to sand from the local beach (its a real nice golden orange sand).

:D

I know this is probably a silly question but I was wondering how soon could I look at adding my first coral (mushroom or zoa's). The water came from an established tank and the base rock came from a tank that was running just a skimmer and heater (no light) so its just wet rock really. But I was given some small bits of rubble that has the good algae on it to help seed the base rock. So far I have found a little anemone like thing comming out of one of the holes. The tank that this rubble and sand came from was a holding tank for small frags from the main tank and also had some glass anemones in it. Could this be one of them or one of the nasty kinds.

So yeah when could I look at adding my first coral. I have one snail in there and thats it.

Cheers

I put it all together yesterday but as I said it has all basicly come from an established tank apart from the base rock which I am seeding with coral rubble.

Archived