Top Shelf Aquatics

Question to ASM G- skimmer owners

non-photosynt

Yesterday arrived my ASM G-3 skimmer, practically without instructions, only 1 page with exploded views. With help of web information, set it in a new sump. Still have few questions:

1. Tube with foam - is it normal that water flows from it, over foam? Or foam should be removed?

2. Water, flowing from this tube, spills occasionally over the 12" wide tank edge. Had to place piece of Lucite between tank wall and foam. What width should have the tank to avoid this spilling, in theory footprint (without spill) is 11x12". Or you make some diverter of the flow?

3. Despite suction caps under Sedra 7000, vibration is quite strong, may be body of the skimmer transfers vibration. What material can be used as cushioning pad, saltwater safe - foam rubber mouse pad, viscous plastic vibration cushion pads (2" wide max, each), plastic kitchen board, anything else?

4. Water depth was adviced 7-8", just above tube, going from the pump. Could it function normally with 9-10" depth? (Without raising skimmer, this is water depth in the my sump now).

90 gal FOWLR mostly predators tank;

sump is beside main tank (not under), 15 gal AGA tank as a sump with skimmer and Eheim 1250 return pump, 100 mk sock at inflow;

5 gal refugium with LR rubble and chaeto, feeds from the sump by Rio pump (from NC6), empties into main tank.

Thanks.

I've got a smaller ASM skimmer in my 75. It takes a few tries to get it adjusted properly. The tube with the foam can be raised or lowered to control the flow in the cylinder. You just have to play with it and look inside the skimmer to see where the water level is. You want the bubbles to break around the top of the skimmer cup and let the gunk flow down inside the cup. If your tube is too low, you won't get anything. If your tube is too high (which mine was after following ASM recommedations), the cup will just fill with water.

The foam tube stays on. This helps control the microbubbles. Mine is set about an inch down from the top of the plastic tube. You'll probably have bubbles for the first few hours, but they should disappear.

Make sure you clean your skimmer cup in a remote part of the house or outside. The stuff that collects in there is the stinkiest sludge ever created. It smells like a pile of vomit vomitting.

Robb

My tube with foam is now at the same level, as a main cylindrical body top - I had a small leak where cup attaches to the main body. Now it's gone.

Foam stands frequently in the middle of the cup, sometimes goes to the top - so far only 1/8" of medium tea colored liquid collected, for all this time.

How long should breaking period be - until skimmer starts to work at full capacity?

My tank is really dirty - heavy feeding plus new 2 mandarins, food is always in the tank. Water goes through 100 mk sock before entering skimmer.

And, of course, question about water level in the sump - mine is around 1-1.5" above pump tube, entering the skimmer's body.

Archived