ReefCleaners.org

My 2.5g Mantis Reef

VannReefer87

ok...so I'm waiting on a few more frags to arrive and them I'm done for a while, so I'll let everything grow out and maybe start trading frags for some colors I don't have yet...:)

Your lionfish (assuming he's your icon) is absolutely adorable. Manny is such a brilliant color! I hope he keeps it when he molts!

And it is so hard to believe that that is a 2.5g...excellent work, sir.

--Meghan

Thanks drowsyfirely, Manny actually got brighter after he molted! I was very pleased with his colors. As for the tank, I'm really enjoying it. Easy to work with compared to my 37g. Although I'm dreading the day manny will have to be moved into a bigger tank and I won't be able to watch him so closely. But he's still only like an 1'' 1/2-2'' tops. So we take it as it goes...:)

haha thanks uchiha!!, I will def. try and get some more pics of him, I think he's actually getting jealous of the zoa's and coming out more so I can take pics of him!

ok everyone here is my beloved mantis "Manny"

ha!! told you they pose!!! i bet its like having a dog....cept this one will break your fingers.....

what do they respond to? how do you communicate w/ em?? glass tapping b/f feeding??

haha, if I look closely at the tank he greets me with a nice show of aggression and when I put the feeding tongs in the tank he begs like a dog on its hind legs for a bone..its pretty funny, if only he'd stay still for a good full body shot! 8)

• 2 weeks later...

alright, well I just ordered some awesome paly's from reefkingdom, and have a few new frags from the LFS that I got a weekend job at, so pictures will be coming soon of both corals and hopefully mr. crab killer himself, Manny!

alright everyone, well I have some bad news and some good news......first the bad news, the 2.5g AGA is going to be no more in a few weeks because I have to take it down because my little inhabitant is getting a little bigger (2'') and I want a little more room to work with. Now for the good news....I just bought a custom 5g acrylic tank w/ overflow off of a fellow reefer on here that was moving. Will be transfering everything from the 2.5 and I'm going to add some more coral and a tad more rock (1-2 very small peices) I'll try and update the 2.5g a few more times before it comes down so people can see the progress thats been made since its birth back in early September :)

yep that was me, got a pretty good deal on it and it seemed like a cool tank, hopefully I'll be able to do something cool with it. Hows your 5.5g doin?

5.5g tank's doing ok - I bought the fungia and frogspawn from the same guy. Those corals went into the 5.5 -

I also got some LR from him - I'm thinking about rescaping and adding the contents of my .5g to it. The plastic Red Sea pico is a PITA to keep clean. Prolly be a Sat. moring project.

got a dry pic of the new tank??

im fixin to chop up 2, 3 gal picotopes and make my own w/ all the fun stuff needed...

im goin that direction b/c if i just buy another kit, i get all the gear too...

still no mantis though....-={ ill never be part of the cult at this rate.....

Sounds like a plan Yankee, looking foward to seeing what you do with it.

Savetheeels: I don't have a pic yet, the tanks being shipped out today but when I do get it and make sure everything is clean I'll be sure to take pics from the start to the end. Hopefully you can find a mantis soon. Did you try TBS saltwater? They usually have some there I didn't think prices were too too bad. Keep tryin though b/c they're awesome little guys. Manny is like a little dog in a tank, he comes out and sees me every morning before class :)

• 2 months later...
got a dry pic of the new tank??

im fixin to chop up 2, 3 gal picotopes and make my own w/ all the fun stuff needed...

im goin that direction b/c if i just buy another kit, i get all the gear too...

still no mantis though....-={ ill never be part of the cult at this rate.....

just call your local LFS's and tell them to write down your name for a mantis if they ever find one..

i just got one today... for $5... mwhahahahahah!!!

we found one in our big frag tank....

~ps~ it pays to work at your lfs...

I know it was a while ago that you asked for advice but anyways my advice is that the bigger a tank the better... when i first started reading this i was going to tell you to upgrade to at least 5 gallons... glad to hear you did so on your own. My other advice is to just get one of those digital stick on thermometers... mantises like to smack things up to look tough. floating glass is no exception. speaking of smacking glass, same goes for the heater... it'd be good to have a plastic or titanium heater.

past that, sweet ternatensis! and lion too! Im currently setting up a 60 gal peacock mantis tank and thinking of testing in the future to see if it'll let a lion live in peace in there. and before anyone tells me its a bad idea, mantis kills all blah blah, i know the risks. Just thought it would make a wicked cool combination.

Hah. My mantis is named Manny too. It came to me with that name already, but still. Two Manny the Mantises out there in the world. Who knew? Yours is much more colorful than mine. Nice setup.

• 3 weeks later...

haha thanks everyone, sorry I was ignoring this post topic for the longest time. I'll have to post pics and tank specs of "Manny's" new home, which he's enjoying very much. Not as colorful as the old home, as I have no coral in this one with him even though I have a lot of light in this tank.

Archived