Innovative Marine Aquariums

My First Nano - 10g

Puff_the_Reefer

Puff_the_Reefer

Decided to setup a nano after seeing some amazing nanos on this board. About 5 months ago I setup a fish only 40 gallon and have been hooked ever since. I knew I wanted a reef from day 1 but was a little cautious as this was my first marine tank. Well, got bored the other day and finally decided to take the plunge...

Went down to my LFS to get a new 10 gallon and PC hood to get things started. They had a 2x36w JBJ that was on sale for $107.00 so I jumped on it. I wasn't going to get a new 10 gallon tank as I had one already, but it wasn't in the best of shape. I thought the PCs would have been more expensive so I decided to splurge and spend an extra $8 on a new tank. So far ~ $125.

Next LFS had a better deal on LS, so I got 20lbs for $20 and a 50w Ebo Jager for $25. Roughly $175 now...

Next LFS had some nice Tonga LR so I grabbed 7lbs of it @ $6 and 6lbs of Figi @ $4. ~$75 on LR, so grand total up to ~$250.

Stopped at the local HW store on the way home and got a small can of blue Krylon, some masking tape, and some razor blades for about $10. I needed a stand for the tank, so I got a cheap-o table from Ikea for $10. Under $275 for the tank setup (already had 2 Rio 50s), just need it to cycle and slowly stock it.

Here's my first pic. (And first post for that matter!)

Puff_the_Reefer

I had to get the Tonga rock when I saw it. Has excellent shape for good water flow. These pictures are very poor quality... actually taken with my cell phone cam.

So far so good. Just make sure the $10 cheapo Ikea table can hold the 100 plus pounds or you will end up $275 in the whole. I had a cave in many years ago, you wanna be sure the stand is worthy.

Puff_the_Reefer

I was concerned with the table myself. It's 2" thick and darn sturdy... stood on it myself just to make sure. Not a creek. ;)

Puff_the_Reefer

Got some corals for my tank. Picked up a mushroom that looks like an anenome, a torch, and a tiny rock with some small zoos. Also tossed in a coral banded shrimp. Please excuse the crummy pics (cell phone cam)... need to get a real digital camera already.

Damn Puff, you should of met up with us at Jeffs Exotic Fish today. Looks like the tank is getting very nice. I justadded my LR so the cycle begins!

Jeremy

Puff_the_Reefer

I went to Jeff's about a week ago and was not impressed at all (I've been to Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego, much better IMO...). I didn't like their coral selections. I got these corals at Tong's in Fountain Valley. They have a good selection of fish and corals for a LFS.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a similar 'el-cheap-o' IKEA table for my 10G SeaClear acrylic since Aug'02. So far so good! :-) I do check on the legs/stability every so often, just in case.

Nice setup. The aquascape and build-up of marine life looks good.

Nice tank, lovce the rock work! Can you list the inhabitants so far! How's the torch, i would like to get one too, and also the xenia. How did you mount it?

Thanks!

pitbullpooch

must have been a quick cycle?3/08 you set up and 3/14 add corals and shrimp or is it ok to add them corals and shrimp before full cycle?if so darn i waited for nothing but better safe then sorry.

Puff_the_Reefer

The cycle was very quick. The Tonga rock was fully cured when I got it, it's now fully encrusted with 4 types of coraline and has feather dusters everywhere. I used water from an established system to start the tank(advice from a guy to speed up the cycle). The tank took less than a week to fully cycle.

Here is what is in the tank so far:

Torch

Green Star Polyps

Star Polyps

Zoo's (green&puple, various pinks, purples, yellow...)

Galaxy

Ricordia

Pipe Organ

Xenia

Flower Pot

Green and Red button Polyps

Percula

Few snails, hermits, and a Coral Banded Shrimp

Everything looks great so far. I do a 1 gallon water change every 5 days to keep the water quality high, using RO/DI. So far, so good (knocking on wood). When I added the clown I also added a Yellow Watchman Goby. He had some red stuff growing around his mouth after 2 days in the tank (he didn't look healthy). Unfortunately, this morning when I woke up I couldn't find the Watchman... it was being consumed by the coral banded shrimp :(. My first loss... I had a bad feeling about him after I saw signs of stress.

The Xenia is mounted on a small piece of rock and is just resting on a piece of my Fiji rock. I got a good deal on the frag from Lizbeth. The zoos are from Anthony who is also local to me.

I built a LED moonlight the other day from pieces bought at Radio Shack. I will post pics tomorrow. Used a Blue LED with a resistor and a small DC power supply. It looks awesome. Very subtle for night viewing... adds a perfect shimmering to the water. The pics do not show up well as the camera barely pics up the light when focusing.

Archived