inTank Media Baskets

Why did my percula clownfish die?

chronic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why are you so against taking the fish back? Tangs need atleast 50 gallons and honestly more than 4ft of swimming room. I wouldnt put one in a tank smaller than a 120. Its going to take more work to keep those fish alive than it would just to go get the credit. IM not going to bother telling you what you should already know from what everyone else has told you but you sir are not only killing beautiful animals but are wasting a lot of money.

Dude, unless you have lots of money to setup a tank 75 or bigger for the tangs, they are going to die. The liverock alone for a 75 would be really expensive. Save the poor tangs and clams lifes, take them back to the store. The dwarf angel also needs to go, along with your anenome. I assume your using the light you just got with the thank, which might, just might be 15 watts. Thats pathetic, I dont want to be mean, but take back those animals, and buy a decent lighting system. Also, a under gravel filter isnt going to work in that tank. Search this forum and see how other people set up their tanks. If i were you, I would take down the whole tank, sell everything to the LFS and really and research this for a good 3-4 months. I researched for 4-5 months, and have had my tank setup for a year, and still dont have fish in it. This hobby takes patience. Again, save those animals and take them back!

Again, the reason why i cant return the fish to the LFS is because the marine LFS are far from my place so if i can't properly transport them in a bag with proper O2 they would have better chances of living....Do you guys really think that a person would want to kill his fishes? This is why people ask advice in forums for something wrong done right? Not to hear people say that's bad that's bad.

BTW, Live Rocks here are cheap...around 1$ for 3Kgs.

MY lighting is 1 15W but with 7000k and 1 actinic. I was planning to install T5 lighting but it people say it would shoot up the temp if I use it for my 20Gs. Temp here is around 90F the least on an average day and higher during summer.

I don't have undergravel filter what I have is an overhead filter....i only used the plates of my undergravel filter to serve as a plenum used in the Jaubert's Method.

Again, the reason why i cant return the fish to the LFS is because the marine LFS are far from my place so if i can't properly transport them in a bag with proper O2 they would have better chances of living....Do you guys really think that a person would want to kill his fishes? This is why people ask advice in forums for something wrong done right? Not to hear people say that's bad that's bad.

Then toss them in a bucket with a battery powered air pump and they'll be fine for the trip.

You'd be surprised how long the fish could go in the bag. Plenty of people on this forum drive hours multiple times a year with their fish going back and forth to school and home.

You'd be surprised how long the fish could go in the bag. Plenty of people on this forum drive hours multiple times a year with their fish going back and forth to school and home.

yah it goes 8-12hrs. according to the LFS but, I don't have an oxygen tank to fill it with air. Or would my airator do the trick in packing them in a bag?

I'm surprised they aren't already dead. Tomorrow morning put them all in big bags and take them to the store. Don't worry about oxygen. Just take them. Do it.

yah it goes 8-12hrs. according to the LFS but, I don't have an oxygen tank to fill it with air. Or would my airator do the trick in packing them in a bag?

I meant without the oxygen tank. Just trap to capture as much air in the bag as you can. If it's that far of a trip, halfway there open the bags, take a little cup and just scoop some water out and pour it back in to create a little surface movement for a little bit, then tie 'em back up and keep going.

congrats you just wasted like $300? on livestock pat your self on the back..

added 3kgs of live rock and had most of my fishes adopted except for my crab, banded coral and 2 fishes which i would use to see if my tank is fit for live stock...was not able to purchase my test kit thou...shop was closed

hmmm...honestly, have not even spent close to $300 that's from scratch inclusive of the sump tunk i just had customized today...I have spent maybe a little over $100 :D

Clownfishcrazy1117

I'm glad you made this thread, otherwise you wouldn't have known what was going to happen. I despise LFS people who lie just to make money. :angry:

I Concur(sp), anyways, luckily my LFS is run by a marine biologist, so he knows what hes talking about, although I dont really like him, he still knows all the latin names and wouldnt suggest a tang for a nano. Glad you got those fish out of there man.

luckily my LFS is run by a marine biologist

I would be suspect of anyone claiming to be a Marine Biologist and runs an LFS. I mean, if you don't practice scientific research or work in academia, can you call yourself a scientist?

HE probably has some chordate zoolology courses from the local community college. I am basing this on the fact that any I have never met a biologist that was not also a conservationist. And how could you run a marine fish shop with the mortality rates that these places have, and keep your sanity.

Besides, wouln't you rather be on a boat exploring coral reefs in the tropics with grant funding?

Ask to see the dude's credentials.

i got a clown 2 days ago...first day it was doing fine...healthy...the next day when i got home...he was like paralyzed 1/2 he was like rotting on one side not sure if it was bites. Same thing happened to another fish that died. All other I got are fine, yellow tang, blue tang, fishes are fine. I read in other threads that the damesls attack clowns. Is it because of the damsel or a disease? Or is it also because I have a three band clownfish also?

If im reading this right, you have a "3 band" clownfish? Are you talking about a Maroon Clown? If so...he is most likley beating the crap out of the other clowns. As with any clowns, you need to introduce them at the same time or isolate the one that was already in there until they learn to tolerate each other. And especially Maroons, they are known to be the most agressive of them all.

Archived