Top Shelf Aquatics

pistol srimp works too much how to take it off?

mauro

my pistol srimp (alpheus spec.) is getting a nuisance, it digs all the day and nigth, so my tank is always cloudy and sometimes it

burrowed even corals (fungia, cynarina)

how i can capture it without dismantle to whole tank?

it live in simbiosis with a yellow goby

ChrisIsBored

More than likely... you can't! :D

Had the same problem before.... One of two choices....

A.) Stick a lot of larger grain sized sand in there around(and in) his holes so eventually the only stuff he's digging is too large to cause a dust storm. Or,

B.) Remove the rockwork til you can grab him with a net

Traps won't works well IME because they're simply too shy to go far for food.

B)

THROW SOME COPPER PIPING IN THERE!

Wait, don't do that. What do you mean it burrowed corals? It's burrying them under the substrate? Are you sure? I think Fungia sometimes dig in the substrate at night, that may not be right but you might want to put some research into that before trying to kill the shrimp.

Spudds.

Bucket o Chum

You can attract it with small peppermint shrimp which it will stun by closing its claw near it. Closing the claw causes water and bubbles to gets forced out of the large claw the bubbles callapse the pep shrimp is stunned the pistol shrimp shows itself and you grab it. Easier said than done.

imo leave it. those things are cool. well my alpheus randalli is. What I noticed in my tank is that if you target feed a certain spot, the fish tends to stay there, therefore the shrimp too. that way, the problem is localized. Or have another burrowing critter in there. if it is more aggressive, it will force the shrimp into another corner as well. A mantis! lol dont do it, relax.

Archived