Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP...new MAG 7 too powerful for overflow

supermarvin76

I just got my MAG 7 in the mail. Went to set up the sump, and I find out that the pump is too powerful for my overflow.

I don't know the brand of overflow, it came with a wet-dry that I bought 2 yrs ago.

I hooked it up with hose, not pvc. Noping to avoid using pvc due to simplicity sake as I am moving in 8 months. The hose is 1/2"

Please send me some help....

Thanks.

Install a ball valve on the output to limit the flow.

Don't try to limit the intake, as that could lead to impeller cavitation.

I don't know how I got the levels even, but some how I managed. I did not need to intall a ball valve. Now my problem is when I put the prefilter spounge into place that restricts some of the water flow. This was not a problem with my other pump.

How do I solve the restriced water flow from the prefilter spounge?

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. I have a Mag 7 too. I first did the silly thing of putting a ball valve in the intake of the Mag 7 only to be suggested that it might harm my pump. I then changed it to the outtake. I have no issues since. I am able to control my flow back to display with ease.

The Propagator
I would still install the ball valve just in case. If your drain is barely hanling the flow it might be safer just to throttle back the pump a little.

I completely agree.

You have to account for algae build up in the pipes, and the u tube, as well as your pump.

Also if your pre-filter spong gets cloged it will also severely cut down the amount the pump recieves through the over flow ( as your finding out now).

I would also look into setting up a low water level shut off system by using a float switch.

I am using a 1475 gph return pump on my 100g with a ball valve, and a 700 gph over flow.

I split the return and throttled it down a bit with the ball valve.

Instead of cutting the groves deeper in your box drill another hole or make a slot so you can slide the box up or down further as needed.

I did that and it allowed me to turn up my pump a little more, but didnt permanently alter the teeth on the box.

In the long run, it might be cheaper to get a smaller pump.

Throttling down a big pump does not cause it to use less electricity, and that stuff aint cheap these days...

Archived