Cultivated Reef

Setting up a 2.5 Pico

noonetooimportant

noonetooimportant

Hello. This is my first post here so play nice! :D

I have successufully kept a 12 gallon (formerly 10) tank for 2 or 3 years now. I want to setup a 2.5 gallon pico tank. I already have the tank (standard glass rectangle from AGA). I was wondering what else I should get besides the obvious live rock and sand. Mainly:

1) Heater (What kind and size?)

2) Filter (What kind and size?)

3) Lighting (Suggestions? I am not a DIY kind of person.)

Also, what about a sump/refugium? How do you set them up in a tank so small? Anything else I need to know and or buy? Thanks!

ive had my 2.5 gallon running for about 3 and a half months and i use a 25w heater, (i forget what brand) and aquaclear 20, and an 18W current usa lighting fixture although some people would say to use 36 watts.

First of all :welcome:

For a heater you will want a 25W. You won't need it now but when it starts getting cold.

For a filter go with the AC 20. They are like less $20 at Petsmart.

For a light I would go with this light:

Link

HTH!

LMK if I can help with anything else.

texx

noonetooimportant

Ok so for the heater I chose this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...&N=2004+113

I have one in my 12 gallon Nano Cube (in the back). I will probably have it in the back at the bottom to hide it. They sound indestructible. Just in case a rock falls on it! :blush:

About the filter. Do I really need one or could I get a small powerhead for water flow?

About the light. Would the one lamp be enough or should I get the two lamp model?

I assume that a sump isn't necessary then? Also what about jumpers? How should I cover the tank? Should I leave it open? If so, what about ######? Sorrry for all of the questions. I have never had one this small!

thats the light i have over mine and everythings doing really well (zoas, ricordias, mushroom, candy canes, gsp). i got a piece of plastic and cut it to fit around the filter and heater cord to cover mine.

oh sorry, that wasnt clear. i have the 1x18W light. everything i have is doing great under it. my tank usually runs between 78-80 but i havent had any heat problems with the plastic even when my room temperatures running around 80.

Personally, I would go with an AC50 HOB filter and mod it to be a refugium. It's only $19.99 at Petsmart.com and they match the internet price in store! You can put the impellar from an AC30 or AC20 if you're concerned with having too much flow. I'd go with the AC20 impellar myself...slow the flow and get more of that macro algae goodness ;)

I feel like a broken record typing this, lol.

I went with an Odyssea 13" 24 Watt PC light for my tank and it's been doing great! I got it here: aquatraders.com I am, however, going to buy a new light for it as the one that came with it doesn't give off as nice a looking light as I think it can. I'm going to use a light out of a 6 gal. nano cube.

So, yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

-Tim

Archived