Cultivated Reef

Yellow Tang injured!

erikg

My yellow tang was a bit too curious and got suctioned by the powerhead. I found him attached by this eye....not able to get out, and quickly cut the power. When he was released the eye was bulged out, while the other side was pushed inwards. Has anyone came into this situation before? Any suggestions for me? Leave it alone? or push it in? : ( So sad, i've had him for 2 1/2 years.

Make sure he eats and swims regularly and he should be fine

don't mess with it... it's just swollen, most likely. i doubt his other eye has been pulled in, it just looks that way from the swelling. add some garlic to your food, that will help stave off any infections.

that's odd a YT would get sucked into a ph. they are powerful swimmers. did it happen at night? he might have been sick to begin with.

I'm pretty sure because it's sucked out, the other is pushed in. Swelling wouldn't make it look like that. I can take a picture if you want...but i'd rather not. : (

After a day or so with his eye like it was, I decided to push it back in. It was very simple and he is doing great! At first he had to adjust back to his normal visual perception, but he's eating normal again. Thanks for your help and concern.

- Erik

After a day or so with his eye like it was, I decided to push it back in. It was very simple and he is doing great! At first he had to adjust back to his normal visual perception, but he's eating normal again. Thanks for your help and concern.

- Erik

:huh: You decided to push WHAT back in? :huh: The eye? :scarry:

Yup Yup, I pushed the eye back into place. It wasn't actually "popping" back into place. I used to wear hard contact lenses, and I used to use a tiny plunger like rubber tool to take my contacts out. The plunger is curved so it fit the eye pretty nicely. I just gently pushed it back in and now he's great. I couldn't watch my little guy suffer any longer, had to help him out.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup Yup, I pushed the eye back into place. It wasn't actually "popping" back into place. I used to wear hard contact lenses, and I used to use a tiny plunger like rubber tool to take my contacts out. The plunger is curved so it fit the eye pretty nicely. I just gently pushed it back in and now he's great. I couldn't watch my little guy suffer any longer, had to help him out.

YOU USED THE SUCTION CUP-THINGY ON THE TANG?? DAMMIT, MAN - YOU'RE AN ACTUAL SURGEON-FISH SURGEON !!! YOU, SIR, ARE ONE STEELY-EYED MO-FO !!

how active is it?

i can't imagine that a tang, of all fish, would get sucked in by a powerhead. those are some strong swimming fish. it's probably sick. step up the feedings, get an algae clip so it can graze all day.

i believe it's in a 30g, with a few other fish, from his other threads, for those wondering.

Archived