ReefCleaners.org

Frag Tank

myaquarium

so i wanna make a frag tank so i can culture my own stuff on rocks that i like so they fit how i plz also sell a little.

so a 10 gallon tank. with Pc lights, 2x65w. i was think bout puttin chaeto on the bottom an eggcrate over that them the frags on the crates. also a powerhead and maybe a mechanical filter. should i add live rock? so what sounds good bad, what should i add/subtract? thanksssssss

The Propagator

The chaeto will grow right up through the egg crate and cover the coral.

put the live rock under the egg crate instead of the macro.

Unless your worried about coraline the live rock needs no light what so ever to function as a natural filter. ( infact it will be more efficient).

make a lip all all four sides of the egg crate so your coral wont fall off and go under the egg crate and into or under the rock.

I would use a protien skimmer, the liverock, and some aragonite and thats it for filtration. Keep a small HOB on stand by for water polishing and carbon.

Plop in a couple 150gph power heads, a good heater, and your ready

To let it sit for 2-3 months ;)

Let the tank sit for 3-4 months complete but void of coral with the lighting on a regular cycle. Perform all water changes just as if it were full of prized frags.

A frag tank has to be stable and mature. The longer you let it sit the better.

Andy-

I have a 10g with some SPS and the acro RTN'ed. The montis are doing great though.

what lighting do you have over it? i'll probably be doinga mixed frag tank, sps, lps, and some zoos

wow, thanks propogater, this isnt something i could do in a day, as i thought, this requires as much planning and waiting if not more than a regular tank.

i will take your advice to the T. HOw about the lighting with 2x65 CP? is that sutible for about everything except for clams? it will be on a 10 gallon

The Propagator

Nope, but it allows me to make wicked corals LOL!

myaquarium

Do your self a favor and save up for a 1 x 150w De pendant amd hang it over the tank about a foot - a foot and a half.

No worries of over heating and you can keep what ever you want in it in the way of SPS.

Just be sure not to skimp on the skimmer, water changes, or lighting.

In a tank that small though the only sps I would mix would be monti's.

Honestly if you can afford it I would make your frag tank a large as possible.

What sort of ratio do you need for a HOB fuge? I am thinking of a 30G or a 45G prop tank. They are both freshwater tanks now and I want to convert one.

• 2 weeks later...
awesome, i'll probably give it a try then

andykee- I throw myself at your mercy--who wants to look at you ugly guys every time I post!! Can't you change your sig for us??? :) Pretty please?

UG! The worst thing is that I get notified of responses and when transferring to this page--I get a glimpse of the nastiness. C'mon now--use that on your Abercrombie forum or something! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Its like high school all over again... There musta been alot of ships sailing at my school, everyone had a popped collar!! lol, i personally like the sig.

Mvite, wait till your kids start wanting those high priced clothes! LOL!

Im a steve and barrys/pacsun guy!

Archived