ReefCleaners.org

My custom 18x18x18 inch cube in England diary

jemram

Great tank. Makes me want to set up something similar. I hate equipment in my tanks.

Yeah thats one of the things I'm really looking forward to, not seeing pumps and hoses etc in the tank.

I'm not going to be able to get hold of the live rock until next weekend now though, so a little bit more of a wait.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to get my 3G s euipment free as possible atm, a very noble cause ;)

Nice to see some more UK reefers around :)

Any Ideas on the stocking yet?

I'm thinking of getting the same halide, assuming its the 40cm one, your thoughts on that would be good too :)

Amazing tank, great DIY and a well deserved outcome so far :)

Nice one!

:)

I'm trying to get my 3G s euipment free as possible atm, a very noble cause ;)

Nice to see some more UK reefers around :)

Any Ideas on the stocking yet?

I'm thinking of getting the same halide, assuming its the 40cm one, your thoughts on that would be good too :)

Amazing tank, great DIY and a well deserved outcome so far :)

Nice one!

:)

Nothing is set in stone as far as stocking is concerned, but it will be a mix of corals and in time SPS corals, acropora etc and a clam or two.

Yes it's the 40cm Arcadia unit in silver, and it should be here early next week, I'll let you know how it is.

Looking fantastic so far, you'll get a nice shimmy effect with that much water movement too. I bet you can't wait to get LR in.

I got the live rock today, and I've started a new thead which will have pictures as I add corals etc. CLICK HERE

• 1 month later...
I'd love to see more of the 'equipment' side of things (underneath).

I've added a couple of pictures of the inside of the cabinet to the other thread HERE.

• 2 weeks later...
how are you planning on adding more flow for SPS?

Do you think I need more flow? I've currently got a 40x per hour turn over.

Do you think I need more flow? I've currently got a 40x per hour turn over.

40x isn't too bad, I have around 65x which i bump up to 77 every once in awhile.

do your sps polyps get blown and ruffled around?

40x isn't too bad, I have around 65x which i bump up to 77 every once in awhile.

do your sps polyps get blown and ruffled around?

Yes they do. Having the flow coming straight up from the middle of the tank seems to give a really nice random flow too.

• 4 weeks later...
any update pix?

My Hystrix is looking better. It had browned out alot, but is now less brown and is returning to pink. It's also had a big growth spurt in the last week, you can see all the white tipps where it's grown.

Hystrix.jpg

Also my Blue Tipped Acro has got it's blue tips back. It has turned totaly brown. It still has a long way to go, but in the space of just a few days the blue tips have returned. (Yes I know this is an awful picture!)

BTA.jpg

And lastly a full tank shot. Not much had changed from this distance.

FTS3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I like the tank I too am a big fan of the minimalist approach. That being said I have two problems with this type of set up. First if you don't surface skim an oily sheen builds up which must be removed manualy on a frequent basis. Second there is no way to run a sump or refugium which create all sorts of hurdles such as water top off, no refugium, or protein skimmer. I do love the look though and would probaby go with the overflowing tank design like pandabehr's overflowing clam diplay

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71091

or http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/

post-25631-1170188723_thumb.jpg

In no way do I mean to detract from your your beautiful tank I'm just saying that if it was my tank I would mod it into an overflowing design by buiding a drain around the base of it. Best of luck and keep the pictures coming.

Merlin

Actually Fish has shown that you can run a fuge, and water top off.

Skimming: substitute with frequent water changes.

Surface oils: no argument there. Regular maintenance item.

Archived