ReefCleaners.org

Moving 3 tanks

thegr8tdane

thegr8tdane

Hi All,

I am moving up to the Stockton area from Ventura its about a 6 hour drive. I have 3 tanks. Sigh. I get discouraged just by thinking of the overwheelming task...O.K. So here is the 3 tanks:

1) 10 gallon Nano; 1 clown, star polyps, shrooms, hermits

2) 20 gallon planted angel tank; angels, neons, rainbowfish, kulihi loaches, 2 crabs

(going to remove livestock and keep it filled 1/4 for the plants, cause I'm leaving them in)

3) 45 gallon cihlid tank; 7 mbuna, 1 catfish, 2 figure 8 puffers

I was thinking of putting the Angelfish and others in a 5 gallon water cooler jug. I was thinking its tappered top/mouth would minimize sloching. Another 5 gallon water cooler jug for the Cihlids. The 2 crabs from the planted tank in a 1/2 filled fish bowl. Each puffer gets its own 1 gallon driking water jug. The clown also 1 gallon. And the coral and live rock in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I was thinking of getting a car voltage adapter for some aip pumps (not the battery powered air pups but the plug in kind in my car, what do you think, they sell those?) cause thats like alot of seperate containers that need circulation. 5 seperate containers, actually.

Next is I'm moving in 3-4 weeks so it'll be hot going thru the Grapevine so I was thinking traveling at night, and for some reason if it gets cold I could warm the car with its heater. Oh yeah I have a Suzuki sidekick for the voyage. Any thoughts would be extremely helpful, even if you just think it'll work would give peace of mind before I go off with this daunting task, thank you.

Joxer the Mighty

Holy smokes, I thought I had it bad when I moved my nano recently. Sounds like you've got quite a task ahead of you. One thing I can warn you about: you will have LOTS of sloshing. I was surprised at how easily water  moves when changing speed or direction in a car. Even shifting gears caused movement. Make sure your containers are well sealed.

I'm sure the Grapevine is going to be extremely hot, maybe even at night. You might want to freeze a few plastic bottles of water and throw them in a cooler for the trip in case your containers start to 'overheat'.

Do a search in this forum for 'moving' if you want to read about my experience. Not sure if there's anything in there that would be of help to you, but you never know.

Good luck!!!

Plants do not need much water..  I would just put then in big sealed bags with maybe an inch of water in them.. and keep them out of the sun.. they should be fine.  Thats how we recieve our plants at petsmart.. and I know they have been in the boxes for more then 6 hours.

dude i just moved my tank about 4 hours. i would go to your lfs and have them bag everything for you with oxygen. this way there wont be as much splasshing and it will just be better than trying to do all the crazy things you said you were going to do. everything else can be put in buckets or icechests. i use the cheap styrofoam ones and line them then tape them shut. there is enough oxugen in ther for alot of hours.

Archived