Innovative Marine Aquariums

Toadstool Leather Reproducing??

JJshiv

Today when the light came on my toadstool opened and as soon as it was fully open started shooting out its little polyps one at a time every 10 min maybe. Could it be trying to reproduce? This thing has been doing great since being in my tank. Its about 8 in or so across, way more than I thought it was when I bout it from the LFS. I will post a pic.

bump

where's the pic? i'm curious what you meant by the polyps shooting off. like the seeds of a dandelion? or was it just sprouting its polyps? sometimes corals can 'bail' from the mother colony/animal and thus 'reproduce'. just curious.

Sorry I havent posted the pic, my stupid photo gallery has been down. It has been literally shooting them off. I guess like a dandelion. Most have got beaten up pretty bad but a few grabbed on to some live rock. Im not sure if they are still holding on but at least for awhile they were. I will try to get the pic soon.

Here is the pic. I dont know if you will be able to see just what I am talking about in this pic because the one that is shooting off is coming straight at the camera. On the front lobe though you can see the place where it has come off. There is like a little hole in the "body" of the coral. Anyways, heres the pic.

101_0190_IMG.jpg

Archived