Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Picotope project --> Need help Please!

JackJack7

Hi,

I'm picking up a picotope today.

I already bought some stuff at dr foster & smith.

I bought an extra filter, a power head and a heater.

I plan to put some live sand, live rocks, 1 crab, 1 shrimp...

The main habitant of the tank will be 2 jellyfishes, but I can't find much informations about them(care, what to feed them with, water condition, light etc...) on the Internet.

I'd like to know if it is ok to have live rocks if I plan to have jellyfishes?

Also How many Live rock and live sand do I have to put?

Any piece of advices is more than welcome.

I'll be uploading pictures of my tank.

Thank you all in advance

the little jelly's found at most LFS are photosynthetic and are very hard to maintain even when you know how to take care of them. I've heard that they almost always die after no more than 3 months. I dont know what they eat but I do know that lighting has to be good for some of them.

jellyfish require a tank with no corners at all. if you put them in a tank with corners, they will swim into the corners and kill themselves. also, jellyfish tanks really only have water and jellyfish - nothing else.

jellyfish are very difficult to keep alive and keeping them should be kept to experts and aquariums.

• 3 weeks later...

ive seen em in some sort of chamber w/ minimal current....these are free floating animals that ride currents in deep water i believe......no google search?

i'd put jellyfishes out of the question. they require circular tanks and a circular flow in order to keep them from running into walls and other objects that will potentially kill them. it's not a good idea, especially, in such a small tank also. if you were wanting something exotic, go with a yasha haze goby or heck, even a fu manchu lionfish. by the way, around 5lbs of LR per gallon, so around the vicinity of 15lbs is good.

Archived