SaltCritters.com

RO Unit or a skimmer ?

Dazed1

I currently have a 20G L tank which is having hair algae as well as some "diatom's". I do have an intank counter current skimmer, but want to get an external hang on skimmer so that I have more space in side the tank.

I visited my LFS today and they have a Kent Bare Bone RO unit for sale (used). AS per him, its been used barely for the last 7-8 month's. I'm not sure if is the Bare Bones (CTA 10 gpd), or the Bare Bones (TFC 10 gpd) unit. They had it listed as used for 68$, new 125$. Would it be worth a buy ? Even if I need to change the membrane how much approx would it cost ? Is the unit good ?

The skimmer that I am looking to buy is the seaclone's hang on. I also am currently cycling another 20G tank which will be a FOWLRLS , so i can use my intank skimmer in that.

I'm confused. Advice please. :)

1st what kind of water are you using now?

2nd I cant tell you if the RO system is any good maybe someone can give you some input on that. I would go with the RO system if you cant get decent water. This way you stop the problem from the source and let your current skimmer catch up. If possible I would save up and get an RODI. The cost of the membrane is also dependant on what it will take and how much you want to spend. They range from $11 to $39.

3rd You might want to consider a different skimmer. Some people have good results with seaclones and many do not. Search on this.

Originally posted by DeskJockey

1st what kind of water are you using now?

Bottled RO water. Great Bear Purified water.

2nd I cant tell you if the RO system is any good maybe someone can give you some input on that. I would go with the RO system if you cant get decent water. This way you stop the problem from the source and let your current skimmer catch up. If possible I would save up and get an RODI. The cost of the membrane is also dependant on what it will take and how much you want to spend. They range from $11 to $39.

RO/DI is kind of exp, plus I live in an apt and don't want anything too "big" and that needs perm plumbing :(

3rd You might want to consider a different skimmer. Some people have good results with seaclones and many do not. Search on this.

I am looking at other's as well. So will search and get opinion's :)

Seaclones by principle don't work! The object of a skimmer is to maximize the time the air bubbles are in contact with the water. If you have ever seen a Seaclone in action you will see that the only cloud of bubbles is at the very top. If you look at higher dollar skimmers (Euroreef for example) you will see that the whole reaction chamber is full of bubbles. HTH

Originally posted by OscarBeast

You can modify the Seaclone to increase the contact time if you already have one.   :)

Don't have one as of yet. That's why still researching :)

I'm on a little "tight" budget, and am really thinking of the RO unit right now.

Dazed- I've used Great Bear Purified water in my nano for almost a year. I've had no problems whatsoever. It's RO filtered, and is just as good as what you'd get from your own RO/DI unit (I've had it tested). If you're running into problems, I'd look elsewhere. Your bioload looks appropriate for your system. How much are you feeding? How good is your circulation? Are you running mechanical filtration in the Whisper, and if so, how often are you cleaning it? Post some water params if you can.

I'm not saying don't get an RO unit, it's certainly a good investment. But there's nothing wrong with the water you're using. If the budget is tight, your money would be better spent on a better quality skimmer or other means of nutrient export IMO.

Dazed you have a 20 gallon long.

go with a new 5 stage RODI complete system fer around 240.00 shipped

It provideds excelent water quality adn has a reserve 4.4 galon tank. If you get a reducer and an attachment, you can run your line off of a washer and dryer hookup (if you have)

check this d00d out. he hooked me up nice.

Jim. 408 813- 1472. his web site is www.jimstrains.com I THINK it is a hobby rail road site, but has rodi units lol.

for the skimmer...... PLEASE do no post a prizim skimmer question :rolleyes: lest I be forced to gouge your eye socket with a mellon baller.

also are you needing a certin "price range" for a skimmer? I'd suggest staying away from the "cheeper models"

Originally posted by Satchmo

Dazed- I've used Great Bear Purified water in my nano for almost a year.  I've had no problems whatsoever.  It's RO filtered, and is just as good as what you'd get from your own RO/DI unit (I've had it tested).  If you're running into problems, I'd look elsewhere.  Your bioload looks appropriate for your system.  How much are you feeding?  How good is your circulation?  Are you running mechanical filtration in the Whisper, and if so, how often are you cleaning it?  Post some water params if you can.  

I'm not saying don't get an RO unit, it's certainly a good investment.  But there's nothing wrong with the water you're using.  If the budget is tight, your money would be better spent on a better quality skimmer or other means of nutrient export IMO.

Ah... good sign that the water is good :D . But at times the stupid store doesn't have any :( . So i need to go buy another brand of RO water.

I'm feeding once a day. I used to feed with garlic, but stopped since i read on swf.com (ithink), that it does help diatom's bloom. Since then, no diatom's. So that i have resolved.

In the mechanical filter, i usually run phosphate's. When i'm not running phosphate's, I run carbon for 4-5 day's. Till now i never used to change them every 48 hrs X) . So for the last 3 day's, i changed it exactly at 48hrs, fed my fish every alternate day with brine, and the other day ESV's phytoplex. I also reduced my lighting to 5-6hrs a day, removed the hair algae from the sand bed. Some hair algae on the rock's has started to "die" off. Which is good I think.

My water param's are all good in term's of Amm, Nitrate's, and Ite's. I havnt had calcium, phosphate's and iodine checked for the last 2 week's. (will be doing so monday).

I have also been always doing water change's every week or at the max a week and half. Skimmer collect's all the nutrients and waste since the cup get's full in about a week.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Dazed you have a 20 gallon long.

go with a new 5 stage RODI complete system fer around 240.00 shipped

It provideds excelent water quality adn has a reserve 4.4 galon tank. If you get a reducer and an attachment, you can run your line off of a washer and dryer hookup (if you have)

check this d00d out. he hooked me up nice.

Jim. 408 813- 1472.   his web site is www.jimstrains.com I THINK it is a hobby rail road site, but has rodi units lol.

for the skimmer...... PLEASE do no post a prizim skimmer question :rolleyes: lest I be forced to gouge your eye socket with a mellon baller.

also are you needing a certin "price range" for a skimmer? I'd suggest staying away from the "cheeper models"

i'd love to get a 5 stage RO/DI unit, but unless you want to start a "get dazed a RO unit" Fund, it won't be possible :D .l i'm running a "little" broke as of now.

And no Dave, i will not get the topic of a Prizim skimmer up, i'm a supermod on another site and I know how it ####es off the mod's/admin's if you don't search :D .

SInce i already have a counter current skimmer, i'm not in alot of hurry to get one. Although I do have another 20H cycling which will need this counter current skimmer soon. But i'd like to spend approx 60-70$ on one and since Drsfostersmith.com has the seaclone for 59.99, I can't decide:x

Wow hit wrong key!

try again.

I have a 20 gallon reef also. I have the Red Sea skimmer on mine which is hung on the back of the aquarium, very easy to use, with good results. I buy locally, purified water in 18.9 litre refillable bottles. About 3 canadian $ a bottle . My water changes are usually small so I would estimate it only costs me about 5- 10 bucks a month in top ups and changes. To me it's not worth investing in the RO/DI units cost wise and maintanance wise.

I put a piccolo skimmer, into an aquaclear 200. The ac200 gives alot of extra current and that way I don't have to put the picollo in the tank. The whole thing takes up so little room at the back of the tank and cost about $60 all together. Been happy with it so far, but can't promise long term. As far as RO goes. I priced delivery at about 6.00 per 5 gal bottle. So what I did was just buy a couple of empties and go to my lfs, they sell for 40 cents a gallon.

Forgot to add that I can still fit a small bag of carbon in that ac200. If this interests you let me know and I'll give you the details.

Archived