inTank Media Baskets

My In Progress 9FL OZ Pico Ocean

entropies

Well I decided to start a new pico based on this really nice square glass vase from Ikea.

It holds about 9FL OZ of water not including live sand and live rock. I have built from scratch a base and hood but have not sanded and sealed it yet, below is a picture of the whole thing put together. I not sure what to stock in this so any suggestions are welcome. I will be running a HOB with some macro in the back and a 7W white/blue and a moon light. I will post more photos later.

The light is gutted from a Azoo FireFly, and the filter is a Azoo Mignon Filter

Yup have tweezers from my GF (She will never know) so I am all set. When I get home I will post some photos of the hood off and the filter setup. I am going to try and sand finish up today so I can get started this weekend. I am thinking either a few little zoo's or a little carpet of GSP.

Also the water level is about .25 above the hood so I am thinking of cutting off some of the intake tube to make the whole thing clean so that if you look at it from eye level you do not see anything.

Just got home and sanded a bit, I just took some new photos with the whole thing setup and the filter setup. On the filter I cut the intake to make it a bit shorter so that you cannot see it in the tank.

So far looks good.

Here ya go.

that's wild! The hood / base looks great!

Don't cut that tube too short - With evap, you'll likely suck air and burn up the pump

I'd try and get a little xenia frag along with the zoas, maybe a shroom or ric?

It would be kinda cool if you could find a bitty shrimp to put in there - The Petland by me has got a couple pistols that are about .5" long

I'll be watching this thread for sure

YR

First of all thanks for all the replys.

Yankeereefer evaporation is a problem but what I did was put a cut piece of plastic over the top and it is shaped around the filter. I ran a couple of tests and only need to add a few drops of freshwater a day with a dropper. The filter inlet runs about 1/2 inch into the water so with the cover I should be ok, but without the cover the evape would be too drastic of a saliniity change in the little tank. I am going to try to make it as stable as possible for my ocean friends.

I will try to take some photos once I decide on the finish for the hood and base, I am thinking a Minwax dark walnut stain for it would waterproof the wood also. If this is successful I might pic up a few more of those glass vases and make like a shelve, each one having a different focus from the ocean.

Irishtexan, Yankeereefer for stocking I still have not decided I would love to have a shrimp but I think it is too small. I will be heading over to the local fish store this weekend to see if anything sparks my excitement.

I will keep posting and will try to have the hood and base finished this weekend, I still need to install the lighting into the hood and will take pictures of that also. I still need to pic up a LED blue moonlight.

i am so excited about getting some LS and a piece of Figi Rock in the tank.

Stay tuned!

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. I am on the minwax site and here is a link to the color selection.

http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/w...based-color.cfm

I am thinking the "Botanical", "Deap Ocean" or "Antique Jade"

I am going to head over there later today, let me know if any colors sound good for there is a good amount of wood surface area to water and I would like to compliment the color coming off of my water and possible softies.

Thanks

I wouldn't do the Antique Jade, or Deep Ocean if I were you. I really like the Botanical and Onyx. But it is totally up to you!

Post pics when you get it stained.

texx

Thanks Texx,

I went to Home Depot and your right... The colors just did not look good when I got there plus those were custom mixes and I had to by one quart but as you can see by the size I only need the little can. So after some browsing me and my Girlfriend went with a nice cherry that is on the medium side. It is real close to the botanical in color and darkness. I hope everyone likes it, plus it goes with the dark cherry shelve I am going to have it on the the room. I am going to take some photos tonight once I have the sand and rock in. Stay tuned!

All finished and super excited about stocking this bad little ocean. I love how I do not see the HOB filter stuff. Enough of my typing... Here are the photos.

When I get a chance I will take some high res photos, these are off my camera phone.

Enjoy!!!

I love the color! Great aquascaping too!

What do you want to keep in it coral wise? I would do some xenia isolated on a little rock on the sandbed, some GSP, and zoo's.

texx

Thanks everyone for the great comments and love the LOL... Ya right now I have about 6 different zoo's in my main tank and some GSP and BSP I am attaching a photo of my tank to see if anyone thinks I should put some of that in. Though this might be a good excuse for getting a few more differnt zoo's from the LFS.

Here is a photo of my zoo's.

Some more photos of zoo's.

A few more.

that is awesome, it is exactly what I had in my head for the last few weeks that I wanted to do. Except you have a way cooler canopy/base, I was just thinking about the litlte square vase. Can you take a pic of your light, I am trying to figure out what to use, I was thinking about using a spare Coralife 50/50 20w that I have but I may need to find something a bit bigger or else it may be a little overkill on light.

Forgot about these zoo's in the back. Also the new FTS of the pico that needs to be stocked.

PhatSOB,

I am using a Azoo FireFly 7w that I took from work for now until I finish wiring my 7w white/white and 7w blue/blue lights with a blue LED moonlight. I will upload some pics of my lighting when I am finished but this works pretty well. Here is a pic, enjoy!

Also FYI the filter is a Azoo mignon that I took from work and inside the filter is a small sponge and some Fiji Liverock Rubble.

Mahi,

Thanks, I am really happy with the color also. i am thinking about making a few more of these little guys and maybe staining them each a different color. This tank is to test how much work needs to be done weekly and also the stability. I was able to build this little tank in two days after work so total was about 4 hours and most of that was waiting for the wood glue to dry. I cut all the wood with my miter box and saw, then did some light sanding for about 30min. Staining took about 15 min and then I let it dry outside for the day.

Archived