Cultivated Reef

new 1/2 gallon reef

newcastle

I am lucky that I just found this site. I hope that I get some support here from the regulars.

Just a couple of days ago i set up a 1/2 tank to be at my office at work. (I have 55 gallon reef tank that is as solid as a rock with many, many types of corals and the like.) I am worried that my experience with larger systems isn't going to translate to the smaller tank.

I set it up with 1 1/2 inches of live sand (from the established reef) and two pieces of live rock. Also, ricordia and xenia for corals- I will add star polyps soon with another small rock. Three small blue legged hermits have also been added as well.

My plan is to top off with r/o water daily (except w/e). Further, I plan to change water weekly with two cups from the main tank (which will allow for additives to be absorbed as well as make it easier to calibrate the salinity).

Any other advice would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

I change water daily...in a 1/2 gallon just change like 8oz a day and yea 3 hermits is too many. what kind of light are you going to put on it?

p.s. pictures please :D

I had a complete wipe out yesterday. My wife, in her infinite wisdom, decided that she was going to clean our kitchen with one of my aquarium sponges. Guess what class, she didn't tell me and she put the sponge back.

I dipped the sponge into the tank (to clean the glass) and noticed that bubbles began to appear. I freaked and went straight to the sink with the sponge and, to my horror, it was soapy.

I went back to the tank and immediately removed my hermits, xenia and ricordia and placed them in the big tank. I then did two consecutive 80% water changes. Within a couple of hours several worms (from the substrate) were dead and floating about. Death everywhere! Black Sunday.

Luckily, I have a big tank that is exceptionally healthy and have many frag options. I dumped everything and wiped down all surfaces. I now have r/o freshwater in the empty tank running now and will do so for a couple more days.

From there, I will begin anew.

In terms of my light situtation, I will use what genix has which is a Coralife 10w 50/50. I have scouted a a beautiful adjustable desk lamp that will match my office perfectly.

At least the wife admitted to the mistake. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted.

SpencerShepard

you have to look at the bright side....you could have cleaned your main tank first, instead of the pico.

also, it pays to educate anyone who spends a lot of time around your reef about it's fragility. although i bet she won't make that mistake again!

Well, I have had the r/o water going for a couple of days now; I am sure that the tank is completely clean now. In the next day or two I will start up again.

Once again, 1 1/2 inch of live sand, a couple of pieces of live rock and some xenia and ricordia.

A good note, the xenia that got "soaped" just might make it. I tlooked terrible at first but today I noticed that it looks a bit better. Hopefully it makes it - if it does, it has earned the right to stay in the big tank in a preferred location.

Anyway, another post will follow soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am back! After about a week of straight r/o water circulating in the tank, I have restarted the tank.

Since the big tank is so stable, it is very easy to find stuff for the pico. I decided to stay away from the xenia until the tank is stable. I have added the live sand, ricordia and some zoas. It just so happened that the liverock that I chose was absolutely loaded with copes and amphs. Very cool! Finished it off with a single blue legged hermit. It looks great.

I purchased the 10w 50/50 and a fixture for the lighting, which looks awesome - great suggestion from genix.

I am going to keep it at home for a few weeks to ensure that the livestock is healthy and could easily be added back to the big tank.

Will take pictures soon and post.

Isn't this a great little website?

sorry to hear about the wipeout. a couple of people have experienced that lately. maybe we should be labelling our stuff: "you toucha my stuff, i breaka your face".

at least it wasn't the big tank.

for the pico, a couple of things to keep in mind is your temp and evaporation rate.

the temp should be ok until spring rolls around though. heaters are common, nano-chillers are not. but invest into a deskfan to cool it in the future. watchout for weekends! check to see what temp your office goes to on weekends (especially in summer).

evaporation is really the main issue. a weekend or long weekend can crash a tank. calculate the evaporation and maybe you can rig a drip-topoff. testing it at home, like you're doing, is definitely a smart approach. good luck!

Archived